    went from about 100-200 per machine using the web service to about 9000
    records. Any idea on how this would return a 401? Thanks in advance.

    Jake

    Jake, Aug 25, 2004

  2. I didn't see any of your earlier postings, but one possibility is a command
    time-out.
    If you are using SQL Server, you can set the command timeout before running
    the update.

    Good luck!
    ---Selden

    Selden McCabe, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Jake

    Jake Guest

    Selden,

    We have the timeouts already increased pretty high. We have had time-out
    issues before but the webservice would return a time-out message not a 401.
    Any other ideas? Thanks.

    Jake

    Dim Service As New localhost.Service

    Service.Credentials = credentials

    Service.Timeout = 3600000

    Jake, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Hi Jake,

    Usually the 401 error is something related to permissions, but I wouldn't
    rule anything out.

    Are your updates all happening at once, or are many programs doing a few
    updates each?

    Some of the things I would look at are logging any sort of errors on the
    data access. Maybe one particular update is failing either due to a foreign
    key violation, or something else wrong with the input data.

    If that's not it, and you have many different users/programs accessing, try
    logging any errors there. Maybe the problem happens with one (or a subset)
    of the client machines.

    As a last resort, you can run the web service in .Net, and have the clients
    point to your development machine. That way you can trap any errors and
    hopefully find what's going on.

    Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be one of these or at least one of them
    will give you a clue.

    ---Selden

    Selden McCabe, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Jake

    Jake Guest

    Selden,

    Please see comments inline.
    We have about 60 laptops that run a sync program that takes the info
    from an access db on the laptop and passes to the webservice which in turns
    passes it to sql.
    It's not a primary key or foreign key issue. We simple take any changes from
    a specific table in the access db and dump it straight into another
    identical table on the sql side.

    Could you explain what you mean in more detail in the above comment? Thanks.
    Can we setup a trace on the webserivce itself? How can we accomplish this?

    Thanks for all of your suggestions so far.

    Jake

    Jake, Aug 27, 2004