Looking to Learn C++

Mephster

Hi all I have been going though a booked called "C++ Primer plus"
inwhich I got from a second hand store for 2.99CAD anyway after doing
some reading and trying everything in the book up to chapter 5 ( where
I am at) I realised that I am enjoying this quite a bit even though I
don't understand alot of it now I am interested in learning C++
could anyone point me in the right dirrection in learning this ( I am
a poor person lol) or any suggestions of books or programs also at the
same time I am using a pendrive version of linux and will be needing
sugestions of compilers that work with that OS I have been using the
Devx for my windows os and I am doubting that it will work properly
for linux any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erik Wikström

Hi all I have been going though a booked called "C++ Primer plus"
inwhich I got from a second hand store for 2.99CAD anyway after doing
some reading and trying everything in the book up to chapter 5 ( where
I am at) I realised that I am enjoying this quite a bit even though I
don't understand alot of it now I am interested in learning C++
could anyone point me in the right dirrection in learning this ( I am
a poor person lol) or any suggestions of books or programs also at the
same time I am using a pendrive version of linux and will be needing
sugestions of compilers that work with that OS I have been using the
Devx for my windows os and I am doubting that it will work properly
for linux any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are a number of good books available, such as "C++ Primer" by
Lippman et. al, "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo, "The C++
Programming Language" by Stroustrup (the last one might be a bit hard
for a beginner).

While there are a number of compilers available for Linux gcc is by far
the most used and it usually comes with most distros.

PS:
Before you start learning C++ you might take a few minutes to learn the
noble art of punctuation. The people in this group are very
knowledgeable when it comes to C++ and we are not afraid to help, but we
can be a bit picky sometimes. One sentence with 145 words is quite a lot
and probably the reason no one else have answered yet.

Stefano Sabatini

Hi all I have been going though a booked called "C++ Primer plus"
inwhich I got from a second hand store for 2.99CAD anyway after doing
some reading and trying everything in the book up to chapter 5 ( where
I am at) I realised that I am enjoying this quite a bit even though I
don't understand alot of it now I am interested in learning C++
could anyone point me in the right dirrection in learning this ( I am
a poor person lol) or any suggestions of books or programs also at the
same time I am using a pendrive version of linux and will be needing
sugestions of compilers that work with that OS I have been using the
Devx for my windows os and I am doubting that it will work properly
for linux any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found Thinking in C++ of Bruce Eckel a really good
tutorial/introduction to C++ programming:

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.htm

Online version available for free.

g++ for linux will work just fine as a C++ compiler.

Regards.