Loosing StateServer Service

Victor Marquez

Hi All,

We have been experiencing problems with StateServer. The
service is hanging-up and stops responding further
requests.

Facts:

- There are not events in Application Logs (not 1072/1076
problems).
- The problem is resolved by stopping and restarting the
service.
- The problem seems to be related to heavy traffic in our
site but CPU and memory utilization levels stay very low
in our box where state server service is located (below 5%
CPU utilization).
- When the service starts, an event is added to
Application Logs saying it has started with 3 listeners
but, I am sure somewhere, sometime I saw another box
saying it was starting with 6 listeners).
- Our application generates this Exception:
ID:0 Message: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to make the
session state request to the session state server. Make
sure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that
the client and server ports are the same.
at
System.Web.SessionState.OutOfProcStateClientManager.MakeReq
uest(StateProtocolVerb verb, String id,
StateProtocolExclusive exclusiveAccess, Int32 timeout,
Int32 lockCookie, Byte[] buf, Int32 cb, Int32
networkTimeout, SessionNDMakeRequestResults& results)
at
System.Web.SessionState.OutOfProcStateClientManager.DoGet
(String id, StateProtocolExclusive exclusiveAccess)
at
System.Web.SessionState.OutOfProcStateClientManager.GetExcl
usive(String id)
at
System.Web.SessionState.OutOfProcStateClientManager.BeginGe
tExclusive(String id, AsyncCallback cb, Object state)
at
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.GetSessionStateI
tem()
at
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.BeginAcquireStat
e(Object source, EventArgs e, AsyncCallback cb, Object
extraData)
at System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep
(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Anybody has experienced this problem or have info on what
is causing this and how to resolve it?.

Also, I have been looking for documentation about
StateServer service but it seems to be very poorly
documented. There are switchs? There are Configuration
settings? There is any place where I can get this
information?

Our enviroment is:
A load-balanced solution currently working on-line. Our
production site is composed of 4 web servers (Windows 2000
Server 4 GB RAM), 1 SQL server (Windows 2000 Server / SQL
Server 2000 6 GB RAM) and 1 State server (Windows 2000
Server 2 GB RAM).

Thanks a lot in advance

Bests regards

Victor Marquez