Lost in Translation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by jonefer, May 28, 2007.

  1. jonefer

    jonefer Guest

    Please help, I'm using a converter to translate some C# code.

    The following code written in C# does not translate well to Visual Basic
    (If I paste it in a C# page, however it has no problems compiling)

    //C# Code.....

    private string GridViewSortDirection
    {
    get { return ViewState["SortDirection"] as string ?? "ASC"; }
    set { ViewState["SortDirection"] = value; }
    }

    private string GridViewSortExpression
    {
    get { return ViewState["SortExpression"] as string ?? string.Empty; }
    set { ViewState["SortExpression"] = value; }
    }

    ' Here is the VB equivalent

    Private Property GridViewSortDirection() As String
    Get
    Return ViewState("SortDirection") as String ?? "ASC"
    End Get
    Set (ByVal Value As String)
    ViewState("SortDirection") = value
    End Set
    End Property

    Private Property GridViewSortExpression() As String
    Get
    Return ViewState("SortExpression") as String ?? String.Empty
    End Get
    Set (ByVal Value As String)
    ViewState("SortExpression") = value
    End Set
    End Property

    '----------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Converted from C# to VB .NET using CSharpToVBConverter(1.2).
    ' Developed by: Kamal Patel (http://www.KamalPatel.net)
    '----------------------------------------------------------------

    jonefer, May 28, 2007

  2. jonefer

    CaffieneRush Guest

    Vb.Net 2.0 or earlier does not have the coalesce operator (double
    question mark).
    So you'll need to write it out like so:

    Get
    Dim o As Object = ViewState("SortExpression")
    If o Is Nothing Then
    Return String.Empty
    Else
    Return CStr(o)