lua: any comments

Ivan Voras

Douglas said:
I'd like to hear your comments on lua (www.lua.org).

An extremely nice little language for embedding - I've had great success
including it in many C and even Delphi programs. Major strengths are its
simplicity and good documentation about embedding. However, it lacks the
libraries to be used as a standalone general-purpose language.

These are my opinions only, feel free to disagree :)

Cameron Laird

An extremely nice little language for embedding - I've had great success
including it in many C and even Delphi programs. Major strengths are its
simplicity and good documentation about embedding. However, it lacks the
libraries to be used as a standalone general-purpose language.

These are my opinions only, feel free to disagree :)
.
.
.
I hope <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=9170/ur0405k/ >
adds depth to this portrait.

Jon Perez

Ivan said:
An extremely nice little language for embedding - I've had great success
including it in many C and even Delphi programs.

Easier to use embedded in C than Python I suppose? How'd you
get it working in Delphi?
> Major strengths are its simplicity and good documentation about
> embedding. However, it lacks the libraries to be used as a
> standalone general-purpose language.

Compared to Python's painful C API, is Lua's a lot easier to
use? And speaking of C APIs, I took a look at a Ruby OpenGL
binding and it was incredibly simple. Certainly nowhere near
the confusing gobbledygook that is SWIGged PyOpenGL...

Paul Prescod

Jon said:

Compared to Python's painful C API, is Lua's a lot easier to
use? And speaking of C APIs, I took a look at a Ruby OpenGL
binding and it was incredibly simple.

Simpler than a Pyrex version would have been?

Paul Prescod

Paul Prescod