Lynx Browser, fun stuff

jl

I'm going to add a section to my web site about the Lynx browser and some of
the fun and useful things you can do with it at the command line, or along
with Perl, wget, etc., e.g.,

$ lynx -dump "http://tips.webdesign10.com" >file1.txt

or

$ lynx -dump -image_links "http://whatever-site" | egrep -o
"http:.*(gif|jpg)" | wget -xi -

My site is at:
http://tips.webdesign10.com

I'm writing the new page now. I'm not an advanced Lynx (or Linux) user but
I've been learning about it and want to share the information on my web
site. I think Lynx is a useful and fun tool but not very many people know
about it.

If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx browser
at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here? (e.g., SEO or other
practical uses) I'll give credit and a link to your site if I use the
information on the page. (Alternatively, contact me through the form on my
web site.)

Thanks

Travis Newbury

jl said:
If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx browser
at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here?

Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
made of plastic...

John Bokma

Travis Newbury said:
Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx
should probably be more interested in figuring out why their
girlfriend is made of plastic...

I know, and my gf isn't :) It's just getting your priorities right ;-)

mbstevens

jl said:
If anyone knows of any entertaining or useful ways to use the Lynx browser
at the command line or in Perl, can you post them here? (e.g., SEO or other
practical uses) I'll give credit and a link to your site if I use the
information on the page.

Lynx allows you to search for non-pictorial information quicker than on
a GUI browser, even if images turned off on the GUI browser. You don't
have to remove your hands from the keyboard to mouse about, and it's
lightning fast -- but it does take a short learning period to get
this down. (Someone once asked me, "when do I get my hour back?"
All I could say was, "Trust me, you will.")

It is handy when searching for information about programming. Travis'
rejection of this fine command line tool is probably based an inflated
value of plastic graphical interfaces.
;)

You can use several instances of it running and tabbed together with
other terminal windows in fluxbox. Since it eats little memory, it is
more practical to do this than with a GUI browser, although you could
just as simply use a GUI browser that has its own tabs.

The new kid on the text-browser block is "Links", which you should also
investigate.

jl

Travis Newbury said:
Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
made of plastic...

I wouldn't use Lynx for browsing websites... but it's a fast and easy way to
get all the text and links out of a webpage (including alt text). I think
it's quite useful.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

jl said:
I wouldn't use Lynx for browsing websites... but it's a fast and easy
way to get all the text and links out of a webpage (including alt
text). I think it's quite useful.

Actually, I use Lynx myself when creating a new website, simply to
check what it looks like in the "real thing" (and not just using the
User Mode feature in Opera).

Borek

Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
made of plastic...

LOL, it wasn't John's post ;)

Best,
Borek

John Bokma

Borek said:
LOL, it wasn't John's post ;)

Which was obvious to most people I guess :) I rarely use Lynx, and my gf
probably becomes less nice than Mrs Smith if you call her made of plastic
in her face.

beefalo

John said:
Which was obvious to most people I guess :) I rarely use Lynx, and my gf
probably becomes less nice than Mrs Smith if you call her made of plastic
in her face.

Hmm... I don't use Lynx, but I do use Links with some regularity. And
while my girlfriend _claims_ she's not made of plastic, sometimes I have
my doubts.

There may be some truth to this theory.

--beefalo

Toby Inkster

mbstevens said:
The new kid on the text-browser block is "Links", which you should also
investigate.

Hardly new -- it already has a 2.0 version with an optional GUI; and
several spin-offs, including the rather nice eLinks.

cluedweasel

Anyone that knows of fun and entertaining things to do with lynx should
probably be more interested in figuring out why their girlfriend is
made of plastic...

She isn't plastic, she's latex dammit!