Machine intelligence- can this program be written ??

switzerland qunatium computer

Machine intelligence- can this program be written ??

Machine intelligence- can this program be written ??

In this game of chess it is a set of 7 chess boards

The PAWN the pawn can move just like the regular game but up and down
no levels

The rook on the end moves all the way up and left to right back and
forth

The knight moves in a L shape forward and backwards but only one
level step on the board back and forth

The bishop moves in a x just like in regular game but can move to all
levels back and forth

The Queen moves just like in the regular game but can move on all
levels
back and forth

The king can move one square at a time and to move one level back and
forth

NOW EVERY TIME THE GAME HAS ENDED THE 7 LEVEL BOARD IS PLACED IN A CUBE
WITH BOARD ARE ADD ON EACH SIDE TO KEEP IN A CUBE AND GROWS INFINITE
UNTIL THE MACHINE INTELLIGENCE ASK FOR MULTI-DIMENSIONS

THE OBJECT IS:

PROTECTING ALL PIECES WITH ONE OR MORE PIECES.

ONLY LOSE A PIECE BY HIM TAKING ONE, AND THEN YOU TAKING ANOTHER.

TRY TO MAKE IT WHERE HE CANNOT MOVE

TAKE ALL CHESS PIECES

Patricia Shanahan

switzerland qunatium computer wrote:
THE OBJECT IS:

PROTECTING ALL PIECES WITH ONE OR MORE PIECES.

ONLY LOSE A PIECE BY HIM TAKING ONE, AND THEN YOU TAKING ANOTHER.

TRY TO MAKE IT WHERE HE CANNOT MOVE

TAKE ALL CHESS PIECES

It is very unlikely that a single strategy will be optimal for all these
objectives, and there is no indication of priority among them.

For example, regular chess players often use sacrifice strategies in
which a piece is given up, not as part of an exchange, for a gain in
position. Suppose the program can "make it where he cannot move" in ten
moves time by sacrificing a piece now. What should it do?

The rest of the description is far from clear. I don't think I know
enough to move the pieces correctly myself from it, so I certainly could
not program a computer to do it.

Patricia

Vincent van Beveren

NOW EVERY TIME THE GAME HAS ENDED THE 7 LEVEL BOARD IS PLACED IN A CUBE
WITH BOARD ARE ADD ON EACH SIDE TO KEEP IN A CUBE AND GROWS INFINITE
UNTIL THE MACHINE INTELLIGENCE ASK FOR MULTI-DIMENSIONS

THE OBJECT IS:

PROTECTING ALL PIECES WITH ONE OR MORE PIECES.

ONLY LOSE A PIECE BY HIM TAKING ONE, AND THEN YOU TAKING ANOTHER.

TRY TO MAKE IT WHERE HE CANNOT MOVE

TAKE ALL CHESS PIECES

I'm not sure I'm following you, but with board games like chess you can
always use guided search to accomplish some form of intelligent game
play. The idea is that the computer tries every possible move. And for
each move it will turn the board around and from the perspective of the
other player it will try each possible move (substracting these points
from the points gained by the initial move), then turning it around
again. That until a fixed level. Each initial move (at recusion level 0)
is given a certain points based on the total of the posibilities of that
move, and the computer will try to take the move that suits him best
(the one gaining the most points)...

The thing that worries me is the "infinite until multi dimensions". I
don't really get what you mean by that. But when something approaches
infinite, your search will go very slow, meaning the computer will take
infinite time to compute a move, and you'll run out of memory, since
computers are limited in memory. So, no, its not possible as you state
it because it will run out of memory at some point. Other than that, I
think it should be possible.

Vincent

Daniel Dyer

I'm not sure I'm following you, but with board games like chess you can
always use guided search to accomplish some form of intelligent game
play. The idea is that the computer tries every possible move. And for
each move it will turn the board around and from the perspective of the
other player it will try each possible move (substracting these points
from the points gained by the initial move), then turning it around
again. That until a fixed level. Each initial move (at recusion level 0)
is given a certain points based on the total of the posibilities of that
move, and the computer will try to take the move that suits him best
(the one gaining the most points)...

What you are describing is similar to the Minimax algorithm
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimax). See also alpha-beta pruning
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-beta_pruning) for a more efficient
variation.

The main problem with writing programs to play chess has always been the
branching factor of the search space, rather than anything inherently
difficult in working out the best move.

The chess variation described by the original poster would increasing the
branching factor significantly. Looking ahead more than a couple of moves
would involve a huge amount of computation.

Dan.

Moiristo

switzerland said:
Machine intelligence- can this program be written ??

This is a typical question to be solved with functional programming,
like prolog or miranda. It is very different form coding in Java (more
mathematical), but it should be easier to use that to solve this.

Vincent van Beveren

What you are describing is similar to the Minimax algorithm
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimax). See also alpha-beta pruning
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-beta_pruning) for a more efficient
variation.

Yeah, these are good articles. Any programmer with common sense would
try to prune the tree. It kinda is the algorithm, though I haven't read
it in detail as to label it that.
The chess variation described by the original poster would increasing
the branching factor significantly. Looking ahead more than a couple of
moves would involve a huge amount of computation.

You could use the pruning method to decrease that alteast a bit. The
alogirthm as desribes was in its dumbest form. You'll have to tweak it.
The problem is in the infinate part.

Vincent

jmcgill

switzerland said:
Machine intelligence- can this program be written ??

Do you mean to ask if the problem you describe falls into the set
of problems that can be solved computationally?

Or are you seriously considering writing this program?