Mail framework

Markus Trenkle

Hi all,

could someone recommend a Mail framework? It should be able to read
mails from a pop3 account and provide it in a standard format for
further processing.

I alread tried sun's JavaMail, but there I would have to write a lot of
code myself to get all the character set and attachment combinations
that occur in real life. Especially I have to be shure that this works
as our experience with mail and testing possibilities are very limited.

Thanks,
Markus

Markus

Thank you for your information. Unfortunately this is not quite what I
need. I'm not writing an email client for human use, but for server
processing of incoming mails. The results have to be stored in a
database. I should have been more specific on this.

Markus

Greg R. Broderick

(e-mail address removed) (Markus Trenkle) wrote in
could someone recommend a Mail framework? It should be able to read
mails from a pop3 account and provide it in a standard format for
further processing.

You might also look at Apache commons net. It contains
implementations of POP3, SMTP and NNTP protocols. See:
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/>.

Faced with a similar need (in my case, I'd needed to send emails
potentially containing different character sets and MIME types), I'd
found JavaMail more suitable to my needs, however.

Especially I have to be shure that this works as our experience with
mail and testing possibilities are very limited.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to change this before attempting to
implement a programmatically-controlled email client in Java. To do
otherwise is to invite failure. At a bare minimum, I would encourage you
to be very familiar with:

RFC 822
RFC 2822

RFC 1049