make and other tools

cppaddict

Hi,

Can someone offer a good reference for learning about using make with
gcc on windows xp? Are there any other utilities I should know about
for managing multiple-file projects?

Thanks,
cpp

PS: I apologize if this is considered off-topic, but I couldn't find
another group where it made sense to ask.

John Carson

cppaddict said:
Hi,

Can someone offer a good reference for learning about using make with
gcc on windows xp? Are there any other utilities I should know about
for managing multiple-file projects?

Thanks,
cpp

PS: I apologize if this is considered off-topic, but I couldn't find
another group where it made sense to ask.

gnu.gcc.help ?

John Smith

You should look into Makepp.
It's a replacement for gnu make but is much better.
All the traditional flaws with gnu make are gone and I've been using it for
months with alot of happiness. The only downside is lower speed but still
it's worth looking into.

http://makepp.sourceforge.net/

Derek

Can someone offer a good reference for learning about
using make with gcc on windows xp? Are there any other
utilities I should know about for managing multiple-file
projects?

A good book on GNU build tools is "GNU Autoconf, Automamke,
and Libtool" by Vaughan et al.:

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/rcor4edw24/ss/1?qs=gnu+autoconf

It's the de-facto standard for many platforms, but not my
favorite. There are lots of programs that claim to be
replacements for make. Two that come to mind are cmake
(http://www.cmake.org) and jam:

http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html

I currently use jam quite a bit because it's free,
portable, and very easy to learn. Plus it understands
dependencies natively. You may prefer another tool.

Incidentally, a modified version of jam is used to build
Boost, so it's quite capable of dealing with very large
projects across many platforms.

Any of the above will work with GCC/Cygwin/XP.