Making Waves

timrobinson

Hi!

Can anyone point me to some free java sourcecode
that writes a stereo sound file that I can play
on the Windows Media Player?

All I want is something like:

.... open file ...
.... write header ...
.... for t = 0 to n ...
.... write left chanel amplitude ...
.... write right chanel amplitude ...
.... next t ...
.... close file ...

I want to experiment with waveforms,
envelopes, modulation etc,
play sounds and write them to a music CD.

Thomas Fritsch

Rhino said:
The three boxes in the middle of that page stay grey for me, even if I
wait several minutes. I have the Java 1.5 plugin and nothing is displayed
in the Java Console. Is the problem at my end or yours?

I suppose the 3 boxes are the 3 <applet>s of the HTML file.

I have the Java 1.5 plugin too (1.5.0_04 on WinXP). For me it works, the
three applets show some Java source code. The Java console displays:
fetching: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippets/sound.Tone.java.ser
fetching: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippets/sound.Play.java.ser
fetching: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippets/applet.sound.java.ser

If you use Windows, I suspect a problem with the network settings of your
Java plugin. (The plugin has settings separate from those of the browser).
To check this, open the "Java Control Panel":
Start -> Control Panel -> Java
Look for "Network settings" there.

Roedy Green

The three boxes in the middle of that page stay grey for me, even if I wait
several minutes. I have the Java 1.5 plugin and nothing is displayed in the
Java Console. Is the problem at my end or yours?

do any applets work for you anywhere? Make sure you have <APPLET tags
turned on in the Java console in the control panel.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html#TEST

Rhino

Roedy Green said:
do any applets work for you anywhere?

Yes, I just looked at several at http://java.sun.com/applets/ and they
worked fine.
Make sure you have <APPLET tags
turned on in the Java console in the control panel.
I have <APPLET> tags enabled - that box was already "on" when I checked the
settings in the java console.

The applets on your page still don't display. When I move the mouse over the
grey applet rectangles, there is a message that says
"com.mindprod.jdisplay.JDisplay not found" (or words to that effect, the
message appears only VERY briefly in the status line). That sounds like a
problem at your end although Thomas' success with seeing the page makes that
a doubtful assumption....

When I went to this page, it told me that "Your browser is not configured
properly for Java Web Start *.jnlp and application/x-java-jnlf-file MIME
types." That can't be the cause of the problem, right? Your applets are not
using Web Start are they? I installed Web Start at one point and ran a few
demos with it but only ever use it within the Java Tutorial (where it works
fine).

Could this be a version issue with the JRE? I am running 1.5.0, not 1.5.0_x.

Rhino

Roedy Green

Could this be a version issue with the JRE? I am running 1.5.0, not 1.5.0_x.

This is a puzzle. It works fine for me from 1.5.0_04 and 1.5.0_05 in
Win98 and Win2K.

There are no compatibility problems upgrading to 1.5.0_05, only bug
fixes.

Give it some time. It has to load the JVM the first Applet it
encounters. Further, the site is pretty slow.

Andrew Thompson

Roedy said:
This is a puzzle. It works fine for me from 1.5.0_04 and 1.5.0_05 in
Win98 and Win2K.

Same here (works), for 1.5.0_04 in WinXP using Moz. 1.7.2.
There are no compatibility problems upgrading to 1.5.0_05, only bug
fixes.

I think Rhino should try one of the 1.5.0_x variants.

Roedy Green

When I went to this page, it told me that "Your browser is not configured
properly for Java Web Start *.jnlp and application/x-java-jnlf-file MIME
types." That can't be the cause of the problem, right?

That would get you in trouble with SetClock, and the Replicator, but
not JDisplay which is used throughout the site to display long program
listings.

See if you get get the console up there before you load the page to
see if anything at all appears on it.

I am sending you mime type "application/java-archive" for the jar. Do
you have that configured to do something odd?

What browser are you using? One of the tested ones? at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/browser.html

Roedy Green

Yes, I just looked at several at http://java.sun.com/applets/ and they
worked fine.

I looked at those applets. The seem very similar to mine, with the
except I use jars and they use raw class files.

I have an idea. Can you see the applet at?
http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html

If so, the problem is possibly because JDisplay downloads *.ser files
with mime type "application/x-java-serialized-object".

Your firewall may be blocking them.

Andrew Thompson

Roedy said:
I looked at those applets. The seem very similar to mine, with the
except I use jars and they use raw class files.

Sorry to inject this thought here, but someone asked earlier what
browser you were using, and while a lot of posts have been made
since, and I don't see the answer.

What browser? You posting using outlook suggests you use IE,
is that right? If so, I would strongly advise you to check
the page in a Mozilla based browser or Opera, before you do
too much more. IE has a history of creating 'niggling little
problems' with Java.

Roedy Green

What browser? You posting using outlook suggests you use IE,
is that right? If so, I would strongly advise you to check
the page in a Mozilla based browser or Opera, before you do
too much more. IE has a history of creating 'niggling little
problems' with Java.

it might be configured to use the ancient old MS java.
Check tools | internet Options | Java(Sun)

Andrew Thompson

Roedy said:
it might be configured to use the ancient old MS java.
Check tools | internet Options | Java(Sun)

Note that it might also be something to do with
- SP2
- the MS JVM removal tool
- MS' latest trick, err 'update'
- ....

Checking with a different browser is the quickest
way to see if it is (yet) an(other) IE/Java problem.