Managed Cloud Compute for Java

friarminor

Hey.

Anybody have idea bout on-demand platforms for Java that are cloud
hosted? What would be the advantages?

Best.
alain

Roedy Green

Anybody have idea bout on-demand platforms for Java that are cloud
hosted? What would be the advantages?

I presume you mean by "cloud hosting" the ISP has a farm of servers,
and your app may be run on any one of them, not necessarily the same
one. I further presume they never run it on more than one server at a
time.

The advantage would be reliability. If your server died, presumably
automation would detect this and fire it up on some other server.

If your app were designed to run on more than one server at a time,
then you have the added advantage of being able to handle variable
load by temporarily or permanently increasing the number of servers.

Abhijat Vatsyayan

friarminor said:
Hey.

Anybody have idea bout on-demand platforms for Java that are cloud
hosted? What would be the advantages?

Best.
alain
What do you mean by "platform for java" . Would a linux based
virtualization solution like Amazon's EC2 work? Or are you looking for
something more esoteric where you can deploy java packages/modules
(ear/war whatever) in a virtual machine running in a compute cloud
independent of the underlying OS and able to migrate across OS nodes,
scale up and scale down? I guess it will help to know what are your
requirements (or may be you are just curious which is just as good :)) )
Abhijat

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
I presume you mean by "cloud hosting" the ISP has a farm of servers,
and your app may be run on any one of them, not necessarily the same
one. I further presume they never run it on more than one server at a
time.

The advantage would be reliability. If your server died, presumably
automation would detect this and fire it up on some other server.

If your app were designed to run on more than one server at a time,
then you have the added advantage of being able to handle variable
load by temporarily or permanently increasing the number of servers.

I think what you call "cloud hosting" is usually called clustering.

Cloud computing (as indicated in the subject line) is slightly different
or maybe more accurately a subset of that.

Arne