Managing cookies for multiple domains

Fred Palmer

Hi all,

Can anyone point out some best practices for handling cookies with multiple
domains aliases?

The problem is that I've got a site with multiple domain aliases and I want
them to all use the same cookie. This problem can arise with even one
domain if you don't set the domain on the cookie correctly. For example:
Don't set the domain to ".mydomain.com" (leave out the first ".". If
user's come in from "mydomain.com" or if they come in from
"www.mydomain.com" and you set the cookie's domain to the corresponding
domain, then they will be two seperate cookies...That's a problem. The
problem now is, I've got all these aliases to the site. All the domains
essentially go to the same machine. Has anyone out there had similar
problems and how did they approach it. What's the best practice?

One approach seems to be, forward all the aliases to the primary domain, but
this seems inefficient. Can you set multiple domains on a cookie?

Fred