"Master Pages" for ASP.NET 1.1

Nils Magnus Englund

Hi!

I'm playing around with Wilson's master pages for ASP.NET 1.1. It seems ok,
but I'm really struggling with the following two problems:

1)

I want all .aspx pages to inherit from the same codebehind (lots of static
content). Some pages have a different menu. I want to be able to, in the
individual .aspx pages, be able to add e.g. <mp:content id="menu"
runat="server" control="menu1" /> to add "controls/menu1.ascx" in place of
the <mp:content>-tag. This makes it very easy to create and maintain new
pages!

2)

Also, I want some pages to have a side panel to the right (as an optional
<mp:content>-tag). However, the design requires the html code to change
depending on whether a side panel is present or not, so I need two different
templates - one with a side panel, and one without. Can I specify a
"virtual" template file as usual in Web.config, and then letting that
"virtual" template, in code, decide to use TemplateWithoutSidePanel.ascx or
TemplateWithSidePanel.ascx?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Nils Magnus Englund