Masterpage and default.aspx

Jape

Can I refer to the controls on default.aspx from the masterpage?
I have a form on the masterpage which sends information that is in a
gridview in the default.aspx page.

Ujval Shah

Hi,

If you want access control to content page (control, which exists on master
page), then you can access it through like this..

HtmlControl body = (HtmlControl)this.Page.Master.FindControl("Body");

gnewsgroup

Hi,

If you want access control to content page (control, which exists on master
page), then you can access it through like this..

HtmlControl body = (HtmlControl)this.Page.Master.FindControl("Body");

I think he wants it the other way round. I.e., in his master page, he
would like to get a reference to a control in a child page of the
master page.

Jape

Yes, this is what i want.
The gridview is on the contentpage and i want to acess it from the masterpage.

wisccal

Hi Jape,

Given the below markup & code, this may be of help to you:

GridView g = (GridView) myPlaceHolder.FindControl("myDDL");

Site1.master.aspx:

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"
CodeBehind="Site1.master.cs" Inherits="Site1" %>

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:Label ID="myLabel" />
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="myPlaceHolder" runat="server">
</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
</form>

Default.aspx:

CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="LoginApp._Default"
MasterPageFile="~/Site1.Master"%>

<asp:Content ID="myContent" ContentPlaceHolderID="myPlaceHolder"
Runat="Server">
<asp:DropDownList ID="myDDL" runat="server">
<asp:ListItem Value="1" Text="Indeed" />
<asp:ListItem Value="2" Text="Yeah" />
<asp:ListItem Value="3" Text="Exactly" />
</asp:DropDownList>
</asp:Content>

Site1.master.cs:

using System;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls.

public partial class Site1 : System.Web.UI.MasterPage
GridView g = (GridView) myPlaceHolder.FindControl("myDDL");

=========
Regards,
Steve
www.stkomp.com

jaya

i create a masterpage in masterpage 3 button are there.
each button repesent one default.aspx
and each default.aspx contain some controls and coding
my question is?
were to write a coding for each default.aspx and using some control weather in contentplaceholder

Please give the sample coding for?

Brian Cryer

jaya said:
Can I refer to the controls on default.aspx from the masterpage?

If you are asking a question then its better to start your own thread then
doing it by repling to a 3 year old thread. By replying to something this
old its less likely that anyone will notice.

In a page built using a master page you can refer to controls on the master
page. From the master page you cannot refer to controls on the page which
uses it. However, you could define events on the master page which you could
then implement in your default.aspx page and probably achieve the effect you
want that way.

Hope this helps.