matching any character including newline, in a RegExp

Bart Lateur

In Perl, matching any character, including newline, can be done with the
/s regexp switch, as /.+/s matches a string of any character.
Apparently, the Javascript RegExp engine doesn't recognize that switch.

So, what must I use? I'm now using

(?:.|\n)+

but looks inefficient to me: A character class is allegedly vastly
faster than an alternation.

I've thought of

but I have doubts about this one, too.

Bart Van der Donck

Bart said:
In Perl, matching any character, including newline, can be done with the
/s regexp switch, as /.+/s matches a string of any character.
Apparently, the Javascript RegExp engine doesn't recognize that switch.
So, what must I use? [...]

/[\s\S]/