Mechwarrior Python Game

Jared

Has anybody played the Mechwarrior Miniatures game? I'm trying to
represent the game in python. First thing I need to do is make a
playing field. Mechs will move on the playing field based on inches
to scale in any direction. Any ideas?

Reid Nichol

Jared said:
Has anybody played the Mechwarrior Miniatures game? I'm trying to
represent the game in python. First thing I need to do is make a
playing field. Mechs will move on the playing field based on inches
to scale in any direction. Any ideas?

You could check out MegaMek (http://sourceforge.net/projects/megamek/)
for some ideas (it's written in java, but the games are similar enough).

A lot of people use PyGame (http://www.pygame.org/) for games. So,
there might be a project already there that souce can help you. I know
there is some games that use hex maps on the project page.

Hope that helps.

Pete Shinners

Jared said:
Has anybody played the Mechwarrior Miniatures game? I'm trying to
represent the game in python. First thing I need to do is make a
playing field. Mechs will move on the playing field based on inches
to scale in any direction. Any ideas?

You'll probably want to get comfortable working with a game on a hex
grid. You can usually treat it as a skewed 2D grid. There are plenty of
articles on developing hex games.

There are a few examples on the Pygame site, but most are either
incomplete or very deep. I haven't seen any clean examples out there
that show you how it's all done with Python code. But I know there's a
few people working on that sort of thing.

Dave Cole

Pete said:
You'll probably want to get comfortable working with a game on a hex
grid. You can usually treat it as a skewed 2D grid. There are plenty of
articles on developing hex games.

There are a few examples on the Pygame site, but most are either
incomplete or very deep. I haven't seen any clean examples out there
that show you how it's all done with Python code. But I know there's a
few people working on that sort of thing.

I stumbled across this years ago...

http://unicornsrest.org/reference/catan/maps/source.html

- Dave