Memory-Working Set vs Virtual Size

Larry Bud

Wondering what I should be looking at when looking for a memory leak..

Using Process Explorer by SysInternals, and they have a Working Set and
a Virtual Size memory column. Which one should I be looking at?

Anthony Jones

Larry Bud said:
Wondering what I should be looking at when looking for a memory leak..

Using Process Explorer by SysInternals, and they have a Working Set and
a Virtual Size memory column. Which one should I be looking at?

Virtual size is the figure you are interested in (which you can also get it
in lowly task manager).

Working Set defines the number of pages the OS is allowing the process to
maintain in physical RAM at any one time.

Virtual size is the number of pages that the process has allocated, those
pages not currently in the working set will be in the system's page file (an
over simplification but that's the general idea). If a process is actively
using all the various pages in its virtual space performance will suffer as
pages are ultimately copied to and from the page file and the working set.

Anthony