ModelSim Error Msg

Yogi V.

Hi - I am a newbie ModelSim 5.6 SE user and am trying to troubleshoot
this error -
# ** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'unisim' at "unisim".
# No such file or directory.
# ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(5): Library unisim not found.
# ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(7): VHDL Compiler exiting
# ERROR: C:/Modeltech_5.6/win32/vcom failed.
# Error in macro ./system.do line 3

# My system.do file is :
________________________
do system_init.do

vsim -c system_conf
________________________

Any help/pointers are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

ModelSim 5.6 SE
ISE 5.2i
XPD 5.2i running EDK 3.2

Jonathan Bromley

Yogi V. said:
Hi - I am a newbie ModelSim 5.6 SE user and am trying to troubleshoot
this error -
# ** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'unisim' at "unisim".
# No such file or directory.
# ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(5): Library unisim not found.
# ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(7): VHDL Compiler exiting
# ERROR: C:/Modeltech_5.6/win32/vcom failed.
# Error in macro ./system.do line 3

You have not yet created a mapping from logical library name
"unisim" to the correct physical directory, so ModelSim guesses
that you have put the unisim library in a directory "unisim"
below the current working directory. But there is no such
directory, or if there is, it doesn't contain a valid library.
# My system.do file is :
do system_init.do
vsim -c system_conf

That doesn't help us a whole lot unless we know what's in
system_init.do

Check on how your unisim library has been compiled, and then
issue the appropriate "vmap" command to ModelSim so that it
knows where to find it. Once you've done this, ModelSim will
update its modelsim.ini file in the current working directory
and everything will be alright the next time you try to run it.

Alternatively, if you don't yet have a compiled unisim library,
you need to make one:

vlib unisim_library ------ make the physical library
vmap unisim unisim_library ------ tell ModelSim its name
vcom -work unisim <all the Unisim source files>

HTH
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colm Clancy

This looks like the XILINX EDK flow.&nbsp; The unisims and simprims libraries are set in the MVS file (if using the the XPS GUI this file will be written by XPS and the location of unisim and simprim are set through the GUI).&nbsp; This is then written into the top of the system_comp.do in my case in system_comp.do I see vmap -c unisim /home/libs/installed_sol/unisim
vmap -c simprim /home/libs/installed_sol/simprim System_comp.do is called by system_init.do.&nbsp; This is true for more recent versions of EDK if memory serves the flow changed - previously there was no system_comp.do, it was all contained in system_init.do

Colm.

Jonathan Bromley wrote: "Yogi V." &lt;[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
Hi - I am a newbie ModelSim 5.6 SE user and am trying to troubleshoot
this error -
# ** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'unisim' at "unisim".
# No such file or directory.
# ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(5): Library unisim not found.
# ERROR: ../simulation/system_init.vhd(7): VHDL Compiler exiting
# ERROR: C:/Modeltech_5.6/win32/vcom failed.
# Error in macro ./system.do line 3

You have not yet created a mapping from logical library name
"unisim" to the correct physical directory, so ModelSim guesses
that you have put the unisim library in a directory "unisim"
below the current working directory.&nbsp; But there is no such
directory, or if there is, it doesn't contain a valid library.
# My system.do file is :
do system_init.do
vsim -c system_conf

That doesn't help us a whole lot unless we know what's in
system_init.do

Check on how your unisim library has been compiled, and then
issue the appropriate "vmap" command to ModelSim so that it
knows where to find it.&nbsp; Once you've done this, ModelSim will
update its modelsim.ini file in the current working directory
and everything will be alright the next time you try to run it.

Alternatively, if you don't yet have a compiled unisim library,
you need to make one:

vlib unisim_library&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ------ make the physical library
vmap unisim unisim_library&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ------ tell ModelSim its name
vcom -work unisim &lt;all the Unisim source files>

HTH
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mail: (e-mail address removed)
Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Web: http://www.doulos.com

John Moore

In your modelsim.ini file, in the VHDL Section, you should have a line like:

unisim = $MODEL_TECH/../xilinx/vhdl/unisim

HTH
John Moore