Modern dead-tree Python resources

Michael Ekstrand

I'm sitting here looking at my copy of David Beazley's Python Essential
Reference, which I find wonderful, but am lamenting that it only covers
through Python 1.5.2. And I see that the 2nd edition covers through
Python 2.1.

Is there a good book that covers Python at least through 2.2 (including
new-style classes, etc.)? I'm particularly looking for something with
large appendices of reference material. (alternatively, if someone's
publishing print versions of the Python documentation, that would
possibly be of interest. I know I saw some for Python 1.5 or 1.6 in a
used bookstore, but don't recall who published them.)

TIA,
Michael

beliavsky

Michael Ekstrand said:
Is there a good book that covers Python at least through 2.2 (including
new-style classes, etc.)? I'm particularly looking for something with
large appendices of reference material. (alternatively, if someone's
publishing print versions of the Python documentation, that would
possibly be of interest.

A good reference for Python 2.2 is "Python in a Nutshell", by Alex Martell.
Also good, and more pedagogical, is "Learning Python", 2nd. edition, by Lutz
and Ascher. O'Reilly published both books.

Brian Gough

Michael Ekstrand said:
Is there a good book that covers Python at least through 2.2
..... if someone's publishing print versions of the Python
documentation, that would possibly be of interest....

Hello,
I publish printed editions of the Python Documentation (and other free
software manuals too). The versions are all fairly recent (2.2 & 2.3).
See the following urls for details.

http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/manual/ (Tutorial v2.2.2)
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/python/language/ (Language Reference v2.3)

The discounted price on Amazon is about $14 for each book.
Incidentally, $1 of the price is donated to the Python Software
Foundation for each copy sold.

Doug Rosser

A good reference for Python 2.2 is "Python in a Nutshell", by Alex Martell.
Also good, and more pedagogical, is "Learning Python", 2nd. edition, by Lutz
and Ascher. O'Reilly published both books.

Sadly, the second edition of Learning Python is so thorough, it isn't
superb for -learning- python anymore. It is one helluva nice
reference, though.

da rosser