More Die IDE Die

Lloyd Sheen

After formatting killed the control. I delete it. Add it new. Can I
change the name so that all existing code will work. Not a chance.
Somewhere the old name exists.

I guess this IDE only works if no problems are found. RAD stands for Rapid
Agony Distributor for this IDE.

Comeon MS do better.

Lloyd Sheen

Nauzad Kapadia

What do u mean by "change the name so that all code will work" ????

obviously if u referred to a control using an old name, and at some later
stage change the name of the control, the code is still going to refer to it
using the old name.

I am glad the IDE doesn;t change your code....

and btw, the auto formatting of VS.NET works very well for me, including the
auto indentation. so i really don;t know what you are cribbing so much
about. and besides VS.NET is a development tool, not a page designing or a
graphics app.

Regards,
Nauzad Kapadia [MVP]

Lloyd Sheen

I deleted the control with the name I want to use, readded the control and
tried to apply the old name. I had to get out of IDE and then back in.
There is a cache somewhere that is not being informed that the control was
deleted. I deleted it from the designer after the reformatting had
destroyed the page.

This has happened before. The IDE does not want mistakes to be made and
since I am just human we don't get along.

Lloyd Sheen

Nauzad Kapadia

let me explain to you what happens.

when you add a control thru your designer, a reference to your control is
also added in your code behind file. This allows your code to map to event
handlers etc. When you delete a control, the designer does not delete the
entries from the code behind file (for some very good reasons).

To get around this, all you have to do is manually go to the code behind
file and go into the "Visual Studio Generated Code" Region and delete the
lines that declare and instantiate your control. There should be 2 lines for
the same. If you are using C# then remember to delete the event handlers as
well.

regards,
Nauzad Kapadia [MVP]

Lloyd Sheen

I thought this was supposed to be RAD IDE. For everything you have to
remember to do that is a problem with the IDE, the value decreases. I was
using the previous IDE for C++ and the IDE for VB classic with almost no
problems. It would seem that lessons learned with those products have been
forgotten or ignored.

When I delete a control from the designer, why would one think that you have
to go looking for all references. The original reason for this posting was
that the designer destroyed my page on a simple shift from design to HTML.
I was in the process of rebuilding the page (should have saved it in VSS ,
and this is something I will have to do more often to offset the IDE).

I keep seeing posting saying wait until the next release. I don't think
this has been a good experience. MS's strength is usually the UI but in
this case too many problem spoil the experience and when you are trying to
accomplish something there is enough to learn and implement without the $$$
IDE working against you.

Lloyd Sheen

Alvin Bruney

If this is a problem to you, might I suggest you try out Borland C# Builder.
You will find that the same problem exists there as well. The .NET IDE is
thru its first iteration 1.x. Comparing this to C++ ide which has been thru
6 major iterations is not comparing apples to apples. As always, there are
still lots of improvements to be done, but the fact is that microsoft got it
mostly right. This issue is already addressed in the next release. Is it so
much of a pain to find the references in the meantime and change them? You
are focussing on the unimportant here. As you are aware, the issue has
already been resolved, what benefit is it to keep dragging this out?