Most popular program written in Java

Michele 'xjp'

Hi there,
in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

Thanks

Christian

Michele said:
Hi there,
in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

Thanks

I would say it is Azureus...
P2P software simply finds a lot of customers..

Christian

Lew said:
HelloWorld.

But which Version? There seems not be any "Hello World" program around
under the sourceforge top1000 programs..

so I doubt that it can come close to Azureus.. a lot of people tend to
write "Hello World" just for their own sake and don't share it with the
community of users which may, be sad but an unchangeable fact.

If you want a top quality "Hello World" program today then you have to
do it on your own. May be if someone is willing to develop a high
Quality one and put it under GPL it would spread a bit more around.

So no Hello World is definately less spread (just in java) as Azureus
or some other application.

Though as a last thought, as some parts of the jre are written in java
as well, the jre would definately be more widespread as "Hello World"s
or Azureus.

Christian

Lew

Christian said:
But which Version? There seems not be any "Hello World" program around
under the sourceforge top1000 programs..

As if SourceForge were the only way to distribute software. Unlike Perl
programmers, we Java programmers have the luxury of more than one source for
software. And I was speaking of all versions. I notice you don't bother to
limit your discussion of Azureus to only one version.

You have to include other modes of distribution, such as
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html>

It's so popular, it's distributed by Sun itself. They've even got separate
pages devoted to it according to your deployment environment.

And they aren't even the only ones. A Google for '+Java "Hello World"'
yielded 1,860,000 hits. Yes, '+Java Azureus' yielded more hits, but many of
them on the first page were discussion forum hits. The "Hello World"
front-page hits were all primary sources.

Anyway, the question was "in [our] opinion" what's most popular; the OP didn't
ask which one actually is.

venu

[...]

I think it's " Hello World! "

Patricia Shanahan

Lew wrote:
Anyway, the question was "in [our] opinion" what's most popular; the OP
didn't ask which one actually is.

Note that it was not "which is the most frequently executed" or "most
frequently downloaded", but "most popular".

HelloWorld should win a popularity contest. Most of us have written it
at least once in Java. At least for me, it is associated with the fun of
learning another programming language.

Patricia

Lew

Patricia said:
Lew wrote:
Anyway, the question was "in [our] opinion" what's most popular; the
OP didn't ask which one actually is.

Note that it was not "which is the most frequently executed" or "most
frequently downloaded", but "most popular".

HelloWorld should win a popularity contest. Most of us have written it
at least once in Java. At least for me, it is associated with the fun of
learning another programming language.

Exactly.

While my response is, of course, tongue in cheek at one level, I have some
serious points.

As developers, understanding requirements is key to our success. A question
like, "What is most popular?" is fraught with opportunities for misinterpretation.

"Hello World" is arguably the most "popular" Java program (also C, C++, ...)
for precisely the reasons and definitions Patricia gave.

The questioner perhaps assumed some metric like "most frequent executed" or
"... downloaded", but we cannot know that for sure just from the question.
They also didn't state that it had to be a third-party program nor that we
actually use it ongoingly.

Getting the design of any software correct is a matter of asking the right
questions, fully cognizant of any underlying assumptions. Even a seemingly
innocent question rests nine-tenths under the surface like some giant iceberg
of the unspoken.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Christian said:
I would say it is Azureus...

That is a good candidate. 150 million downloads is a lot.

The only other app I can think that are very widely used
is OpenOffice, which even though the majority is C++ also
has a lot of Java code in it.

Java is much more popular server side than desktop. Probably
most people uses web sites served by WAS, WL, OC4J and JBoss,
but I guess that does not really count for the original poster.

Arne

Karl Uppiano

Mike Schilling said:
Lew took my answer, so I'll have to find another one. How about javac?

Javac gets my vote. There has to be a lot of Tomcat out there too.

metaperl

Hi there,
in your opinion, which is the most popular program written in Java?

Thanks

Azureus immediately came to mind
DB Visualizer is quite nice
Eclipse is sheer pleasure to use.
SableCC is not as popular as Antlr or Javacc, but it is a great
product
XMLC is a great way to dynamically produce HTML/XML