moving from c++ to python

Michael

Hi,
I'm a pretty sound programmer in C++, but would like to learn python! Does
anyone know of any tutorial s aimed at me?? My biggest confusion so far is
the lack of pointers in Python ......
Regards

Michael

William Heymann

On Saturday 21 May 2005 03:19 am, Michael wrote:

Yeah this tutorial is aimed at people that already know how to program.

http://www.diveintopython.org/

It would still be a good idea though to go through the basic python tutorial
at http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html

For someone already experienced in programming the basic tutorial will
probably only take an hour or so and it is good to read it at least once. The
other thing I highly recommend is reading
http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html just to see what libraries python has
and a basic idea of what they can do. I have seen a LOT of programmers come
from languages like c++ and spend days and sometimes hundreds of lines of
code implementing something that could be done with a single line of code
from the standard library. :) Just trying to save you from that problem.

Ville Vainio

Michael> me?? My biggest confusion so far is the lack of pointers
Michael> in Python ......

Achtually, python uses pointers for everything. On the contrary there
are no "value types" in python.

MyClass* c = new MyClass(12,13);

is equal to

c = MyClass(12,13)