Multiple versions of Python / PythonWin on the same machine?

dananrg

I have Python 2.1 / PythonWin 2.1 installed on my machine because I
need it for use with ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop software, but I want to play
with a more recent version of Python.

Is it safe to install more than one version of Python / PythonWin on
the same machine? I don't want the latest release to wipe out the old
one.

Olivier

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Is it safe to install more than one version of Python / PythonWin on
the same machine?

Sure, it is, just specify a different path for the installer. You'll
probably want to create two scripts python21.bat and python24.bat and
put them in your path to launch the relevant version at will.

Olivier

Fuzzyman

I have Python 2.1 / PythonWin 2.1 installed on my machine because I
need it for use with ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop software, but I want to play
with a more recent version of Python.

Is it safe to install more than one version of Python / PythonWin on
the same machine? I don't want the latest release to wipe out the old
one.

An alternative technique is to use Movable Python which doesn't need to
be installed. This gives you a portable programming environment for
Python 2.4 (or 2.3 or 2.2) which you can carry from machine to machine
on a USB key.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

All the best,

Fuzzyman