MVP forums

Juan T. Llibre

rer:
If any are 'preferred' then I guess the microsoft.public newsgroups. You
might also consider the forums at www.asp.net and www.tek-tips.com

Some MVPs have been awarded for participation in mailing lists, too,
and some for community-building efforts.

In general, you will get more easily noticed if you participate
in forums, mailing lists or newsgroups where MVPs hang out.

That's because, for the most part, nominations to be awarded as an MVP are made by MVPs.

Also, remember that there's many MVP categories.

You could also post to forums like :
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/default.aspx?siteid=1
which caters to Visual Studio-related technologies.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

There are many ways to get involved in the community. Starting a blog
(http://geekswithblogs.net/), writing technical guides
(http://www.codeproject.com/) and helping users out in the various
newsgroups and forums are generally the best way to help others. There's no
"best" place - any MVP or Microsoft employee can nominate someone else for
an MVP award, so if these people hang out where you're helping, I'm sure
you'll get noticed. Generally speaking, for ASP.NET, Leon is correct,
forums.asp.net and these newsgroups are heavily populated with Microsoft
employees and MVPs.

It takes a while before you become eligible to be an MVP - generally over a
year. It's probably safe to say that if you help out for the purpose of
becoming an MVP, you'll get frustrate well before you are ever considered...

Karl

Guest

It takes a while before you become eligible to be an MVP - generally over a
year. It's probably safe to say that if you help out for the purpose of
becoming an MVP, you'll get frustrated well before you are ever considered...

Agreed. If you like helping out and know what you're talking about then you
might get nominated, but thinking you can just fire off loads of responses
over a couple of weeks to become an MVP will lead to disappointment.

And you have to keep it up! I lost my MVP when I lost newsgroup access at my
new job due to a restrictive firewall and proxy server. Managed to convince
them to allow acces now though :)