need diagnosis: problem loading assemblies

Guest

I have made a web application that is giving me an error in loading
assemblies. It reports file not found (error message below). I know I have
the .dll in the .bin directory for the application.:

Parser Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'epicFlashControl' or
one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

If I can identify the simple cause for this, then I'm done: feel free to
suggest the solution for dummies because I may have made a newbie error
here. Are there any files that should reference the load locations of files
like "epicFlashControl" (i.e. is it possible I inadvertantly tore something
necessary out of web.config?)

I notice a couple of other things that may help us get to the bottom of
this. The stucture of the URL that throws this error is as follows:

http://machinename.subdomain.domain.edu/appRootDir/dir2/dir3/home_overview.aspx

"appRootDir" is defined as an application in IIS. I have a custom domain
name set up that points to appRootDir via IIS Host Header mapping.
Interestingly the following URL will load the page, though other things
break due to the alteration of the directory structure:

http://www.customdomainname.org/dir2/dir3/home_overview.aspx

The third data point is that if I go into IIS, expand "Default Web Site",
find the directory that is appRootDir, and enable it as an application, then
my application WILL load the assembly using the first URL I mentioned, and
my file references work OK. Unfortunately, nesting/duplicating an app in
this way (remember, appRootDir is also defined as a standalone app) appears
to break other things.

There's something I'm missing here, and a few things I need to learn,
obviously. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
-KF

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

To use local compiled code, you must include a \Bin directory directly
beneath your application root. And you must create application in IIS for
the parent folder of \Bin to make it an application root.

#ASP.NET Web Site Layout
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex526337.aspx

#Creating a Directory Structure for an ASP.NET Application
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/2
3b7ba37-f5be-420f-95b8-8f9dd1015174.mspx?mfr=true

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.