Need help with hiding LinkButton in DataList

News

Hi,

I need help with datalist and linkbutton. I need a LinkButton to display in
datalist if datafield "is_measure_customchecklist" in a db table set to
true.

Here is the code (in parts):

<asp:DataList id="dtl1"
runat="server"
DataKeyField="program_id"
OnItemCommand="DoItemSelect"
OnItemCreated="Item_Created"
OnItemDataBound="BindProgramGrid" >

<ItemTemplate>
<%# Container.DataItem("name") %> &nbsp;
<asp:LinkButton Visible="false" ID="managechecklist"
CommandName="managechecklist" Text="Manage Checklist" CommandArgument='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "is_measure_customchecklist") %>'
Runat="server" />
</ItemTemplate>

<SelectedItemTemplate>
<b><%# Container.DataItem("name") %></b> &nbsp; <asp:LinkButton
CommandName="Editprogram" Text="Edit Program" runat="server" /> &nbsp;
<asp:LinkButton ID="managechecklist" CommandName="managechecklist"
Text="Manage Checklist" CommandArgument='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "is_measure_customchecklist") %>'
Runat="server" />
</SelectedItemTemplate>

1. I tried with this method but can not get commandargument (understand that
commandargument is not part of DataListItemEventArgs):

Sub Item_Created(sender As Object, e As DataListItemEventArgs)
ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
' Retrieve the Label control in the current DataListItem.
Dim lbtnManageCheckist As LinkButton =
CType(e.Item.FindControl("managechecklist"), LinkButton)

lbtnManageCheckist.visible = False
If lbtnManageCheckist.CommandArgument.toString() Then
lbtnManageCheckist.visible = True
End If

End If
End Sub

2. I tried another way, here I can get to command argument value but setting
of the link button to visible is not working:

Sub DoItemSelect(sender As Object, e As DataListCommandEventArgs)

ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
' Retrieve the Label control in the current DataListItem.
Dim lbtnManageCheckist As LinkButton =
CType(e.Item.FindControl("managechecklist"), LinkButton)

lbtnManageCheckist.visible = False
If lbtnManageCheckist.CommandArgument.toString() Then
lbtnManageCheckist.visible = True
End If

End If
End Sub

Can anyone advise what is the better way to get this thing working. I need
link button to appear in DataList on condition "is_measure_customchecklist"
is true

Thank you...

Wardeaux

In #2 you wrote:

If lbtnManageCheckist.CommandArgument.toString() Then
lbtnManageCheckist.visible = True
End If

try using:
If lbtnManageCheckist.CommandArgument.toString() = "True" Then ....

the .toString() method will evaluate to Boolean True if is returns anything,
I believe you are looking for the text string "True" since you are using the
toString() to convert the CommandArgument contents to a text string...

Hope this helps! :)
wardeaux

News

Problem is, in the #2 it does not matter if it is True or "True" as I can
set the control visibility in that Sub, in the #2 method I can not get the
value of the CommandArgument which has the value of db field
"is_measure_customchecklist". I can get this value in #1, where I can not
set the visiblity of the LinkButton...