Need to move up a directory...silly question

John

Sorry, but how does one move up a directory ?

I'm in a directory from which I called a script. Part of the script
functionality is checking the permissions of the directory I am in. I may
need to change the directory permissions depending on what they are. Hence,
I need to be able to move up [and possibly down] one level of the directory
tree.

chdir? Something like cd .. would be nice

Thank you.

Kris Wempa

I'm not sure if the Perl chdir() function accepts a ".." argument. If it
does, you can do:

chdir("..");

to go up a directory. If not, you will have to do something such as:

$currdir = `pwd`; chomp $currdir; # gets current directory
$currdir =~ s/ \/[^\/]+$//; # removes the last / and everything after it
chdir($currdir);

That's a very crude example where I'm not doing things like checking return
values or making sure we are not already in the root directory. However,
that's the general idea.

John

John said:
Sorry, but how does one move up a directory ?

I'm in a directory from which I called a script. Part of the script
functionality is checking the permissions of the directory I am in. I may
need to change the directory permissions depending on what they are. Hence,
I need to be able to move up [and possibly down] one level of the directory
tree.

chdir? Something like cd .. would be nice

Thank you.

Great! Thanks very much Kris.