Need world zip codes

inquisitive one

Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of country codes and zip
codes? I've searched high and low all day and I never found zip codes for
international locations.

Rob Waaijenberg

inquisitive one schreef:
Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of country codes and zip
codes? I've searched high and low all day and I never found zip codes for
international locations.

With the country codes there might be a problem:
is there some sort of international standard?

Does every country in the world use the same list for official purposes
or are you looking for a list that somebody somewhere just made up?

And as far zipcodes (or postal codes):

I'm not surprised you couldn't find ONE list of all zipcodes.
Have you got any idea how big that list would be????

Most civilized countries in the world have some sort of zipcode or
postal code.

In Holland this code is made up of 4 letters and two numerical digits.
Do you realize how many codes that makes? Just for one tiny country?

How many codes you think France, Germany or the United Kingdom wil have?

My guess is you're gonna be best off searching per country.

I wish you luck!

Belgian postal codes can be found here:
http://www.post.be/site/nl/postal_codes.html

short list:
Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest: 1000-1299
Provincie Waals Brabant: 1300-1499
Provincie Vlaams Brabant: 1500-1999,3000-3499
Provincie Antwerpen: 2000-2999
Provincie Limburg: 3500-3999
Provincie Luik: 4000-4999
Provincie Namen 5000-5999
Provincie Henegouwen: 6000-6599,7000-7999
Provincie Luxemburg: 6600-6999
Provincie West-Vlaanderen: 8000-8999
Provincie Oost-Vlaanderen: 9000-9999

Dutch codes can be found here:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_postcodes_in_Nederland

Rob

linda

inquisitive one said:
Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of country codes and zip
codes? I've searched high and low all day and I never found zip codes for
international locations.

You can't go by the term zip codes, because in other countries they are
called something else, here in the uk they are called post codes.

http://www.usefulinformation.eu/uk_postcodes/uk_postcodes.html

This site will give you all the UK postcodes.

Best wishes,
Linda

J.O. Aho

inquisitive said:
Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of country codes and zip
codes? I've searched high and low all day and I never found zip codes for
international locations.

You should be able to get that information from each national post, but there
are zip codes listed at en.wikipedia.org, but not all.

//Aho

Scott Bryce

inquisitive said:
Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of country codes and zip
codes? I've searched high and low all day and I never found zip codes for
international locations.

Not only would you need to find the list, you would need to find a way
to keep it updated. This would be a huge task. As populations grow, new
postal routes are added and new zip codes (in the USA) are added.

Each country's zip, postal, etc. codes would be managed by that
country's postal system. I doubt there is any single source for a
complete updated list for each postal code for every single country that
uses them.

Harlan Messinger

inquisitive said:
Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of country codes and zip
codes? I've searched high and low all day and I never found zip codes for
international locations.

Possibly because "ZIP code" (Zone Improvement Plan) is a purely US term.
The generic term is "postal code".

kenoli

Here are some pages with some of the country code stuff.

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/08links/links.html

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/index.html

They are on th ISO web site which is the closest thing to a source for
international standardization. You can get a list of country names and
abbreviations here as well as a list of the numeric country codes used
for international telephone access and some other things. I think
others have clarified the problem with postage codes: There arre
millions and no international system.

This is a link for a handy php application that creates a country code
list in various formats that is useful for creating things like option
lists.

http://jonroig.com/freecode/countryCodeTool.php

--Kenoli

Dylan Parry

Rob said:
How many codes you think France, Germany or the United Kingdom wil have?

Just as an indication; I work with map and address data regularly, and I
currently have a UK postcode database containing 1635104 (yep, 1.6
*million*) records.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Dylan Parry

Brian Cryer

Dylan Parry said:
Just as an indication; I work with map and address data regularly, and I
currently have a UK postcode database containing 1635104 (yep, 1.6
*million*) records.

and the list grows even bigger if you include historic UK postcodes (which
is useful if you are using historic data and are using postcode as a
locator). As well as adding new postcodes each year they also retire some -
possibly reusing them later but I'm not sure on that.

I think your figure for postcodes in the UK is probably the number in
England. The figures I have (from a PAF export Oct 2006) is 1.6 million for
England, 180 thousand for Scotland, 106 thousand for Wales. Either way, its
still a big number!

Swampy Bogtrotter

inquisitive said:
Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of country codes and
zip codes? I've searched high and low all day and I never found zip
codes for international locations.

I'm pretty sure Zip codes are just a US thing.
In the UK we use Post Codes, which are similar in concept but follow a
different structure.
I'd imagine most countries have a similar system, but I can also well
imagine that some countries don't bother at all.
I think you might have given yourself a hellish big job when it comes to
tracking them all down.

Dylan Parry

Brian said:
I think your figure for postcodes in the UK is probably the number in
England.

Actually, it's for the whole of the UK, but I have performed some
processing on the data to remove unwanted codes. For example, PAF
includes residential and business postcodes as two distinct types, so in
many cases there are duplicates if there are business and residential
properties at the same postcode - I have simplified it to only include
each one once.

There are also some postcodes that are not given national grid
coordinates. These are, I'm told, used for administrative purposes and
as PO Box addresses. I didn't need these either, so they were also dropped.

All-in-all I dropped several 100k postcodes from the database as being
either duplicates or superfluous.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

CJM

Brian Cryer said:
I think your figure for postcodes in the UK is probably the number in
England. The figures I have (from a PAF export Oct 2006) is 1.6 million
for England, 180 thousand for Scotland, 106 thousand for Wales. Either
way, its still a big number!

And I expect that Dylan and yourself have paid handsomely for the privelege
too. It's been 4 years since I worked in GIS, but back then even the
cheapest dataset based on the PAF cost £££s. I can't imagine prices have
dropped much since.

J.O. Aho

Swampy said:
I'd imagine most countries have a similar system, but I can also well
imagine that some countries don't bother at all.

Hong Kong don't have zip/post codes, but most countries have some kind of system.
I think you might have given yourself a hellish big job when it comes to
tracking them all down.

Sure and if using the new Zip-4 system that USPS has introduced, only US will
take a good part of the database.

//Aho

Dylan Parry

CJM wrote:

[PAF]
And I expect that Dylan and yourself have paid handsomely

Certainly did. I don't remember the exact prices (although I do have
them somewhere - we're a reseller), but it's around £120 per region +
0.5p for every time the dataset is queried. The alternative is around
£1000 per region and no cost-per-query. I don't remember how many
regions there are, but they include Wales (comprising 2 regions),
Scotland (not sure how many), London, and probably about a dozen in the
rest of the UK and NI.

Bear in mind that they are the prices for Web use - I think it's cheaper
if you want them for internal/office use - but it worked out cheaper for
us to buy the royalty free license ;)

--

Dylan Parry said:
Certainly did. I don't remember the exact prices (although I do have
them somewhere - we're a reseller), but it's around £120 per region +
0.5p for every time the dataset is queried. The alternative is around
£1000 per region and no cost-per-query.

Bear in mind that they are the prices for Web use - I think it's cheaper
if you want them for internal/office use

Yeah, we had the royalty-free non-web use sets for the EMids & surrounds,
and I'm sure it cost us £2k - £3k per year.

You can buy a set of postcode *sectors* for a much-reduced amount, but even
this, if you scaled it up to 150+ countries, means the cost for the OP would
be stratospheric!