need XML help with nested tables

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve Klett, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Steve Klett

    Steve Klett Guest

    (I posted this in ADO group, but I think this group will be better)

    Hi-

    I need to develop an FAQ section for our website. We would like to break up
    the FAQ by products, then categories with each category having n
    question/answer pairs.
    I would like to pass parameters in the querystring based on what the
    product/category the user selected, then populate a datagrid with the
    correct set of question/answer

    I am pretty new to XML, but basically I made something like this:
    <products>
    <product>
    <name>prod1</name>
    <partNum>prod1</partNum>
    <categories>
    <category>
    <name>basic category</name>
    <faqs>
    <faq>
    <question>This is a sample question</question>
    <answer>this is the answer</answer>
    </faq>
    </faqs>
    </category>
    </categories>
    </product>
    <product>
    <name>prod2</name>
    <partNum>prod2</partNum>
    <categories>
    <category>
    <name>basic something or something category</name>
    <faqs>
    <faq>
    <question>This is another question</question>
    <answer>and this is another answer</answer>
    </faq>
    </faqs>
    </category>
    </categories>
    </product>
    </products>

    So, then I use a DataSet and the ReadXML() method, this result in 5 tables.
    I was hoping that it would somehow be nested for me, but the way it is right
    now I can't see an easy way to use it the way I want.

    the first table lists the products(good)
    the second table I can't really tell what is in there
    third tables has all the categories, so on and so on.

    What is confusing is... what is the point of structuring data hierarchically
    in XML file if you can't maintain it? I'm sure you can, but how? Is what
    I'm doing not common?

    Someone please shed a little light on this for me, I would appreciate it!!

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve Klett, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Steve Klett

    Mary Chipman Guest

    Create a dataset with datarelations between the tables you want
    nested. Set the Nested property prior to writing the xml:

    ds.Relations["relationName"].Nested = true;

    -- Mary
    MCW Technologies
    http://www.mcwtech.com

    Mary Chipman, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Steve Klett

    neverstill Guest

    Hi Mary, thanks for the response.

    So I would setup the relationions prior to reading teh XML, correct? Have
    you ever seen any examples of this?

    Thanks again,
    Steve

    neverstill, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Steve Klett

    Mary Chipman Guest

    Once you add the data to a dataset you can then set the DataRelations
    between the different DataTables. There's examples in online help --
    see the topic "Adding a Relationship between Tables". Gotdotnet.com
    probably has other examples or tutorials as well. Then once you've set
    up the relations, you can then set the nested property to true.

    -- Mary
    MCW Technologies
    http://www.mcwtech.com

    Mary Chipman, Dec 9, 2003