    very new to XML.

    Thank you,

    Henry

    Henry, Apr 1, 2012

  2. What's an "xml reader" exactly? If you are looking for an XML editor
    then XML is a text format so any editor supporting editing text files in
    an Unicode format like UTF-8 or UTF-16 should suffice, although there
    are certainly more comfortable ways these days with specialized XML
    edtitors.
    If you want to manipulate XML with a program then Win XP SP 3 has both
    MSXML 3 and MSXML 6, Microsoft's COM based XML software packages
    supporting DOM, XSLT and XPath 1.0 and can be used by a variety of
    programming languages, the easiest the also built-in JScript and
    VBScript, but also PHP with its COM automation support, classic VB, VBA
    and others.
    On the other hand the main development platform with Windows is the
    Microsoft .NET framework. Based on that there is
    http://xmlnotepad.codeplex.com/, aimed at people who want to edit XML
    documents but not deal with XML syntax.

    Martin Honnen, Apr 1, 2012

  3. Joe Kesselman, Apr 1, 2012
  4. And you certainly aren't beholden to Microsoft's tools. If you're
    working in Java or in C/C++, the Apache parser/serializer/stylesheet
    tools (Xerces and Xalan) are quite good. Similar tools/libraries are
    available in most other programming languages these days.

    --
    Joe Kesselman,

    Joe Kesselman, Apr 1, 2012
  5. Henry

    Peter Flynn Guest

    You have my deepest sympathy :)
    There is no such thing. XML files are just plain text, so you can use
    Notepad or any decent plaintext editor.

    As Martin has explained, if you wanted to modify the file, it's safest
    to do it with the right software (an XML editor).

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Apr 2, 2012
  6. Henry

    BGB Guest

    IMO, Vista was worse...

    for a while I used WinXP-x64, before switching to Windows 7 x64.
    FWIW, it was still better than Vista IMO... (even considering how "not
    very good" WinXP-x64 was...).

    yep.

    BGB, Apr 2, 2012
  7. Henry

    Peter Flynn Guest

    To follow up on this, Henry sent me the document, and it's a proprietary
    binary format called TTFN.

    The file is indeed named with a .xml extension, which looks like gross
    carelessness, gross ignorance, or deliberate obfuscation on the part of
    TurboTax.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Apr 7, 2012
  8. I suspect it's either carelessness, exhaustion -- there are only so many
    three-letter acronyms, after all, and most of them are already in use by
    some piece of software or other -- or, quite possibly, that the document
    is in fact using the XML data model internally but has exported the file
    in some compressed format, which may or may not be one of the various
    "binary XML" representations that have bloomed and withered over the years.

    I'm not going to look more closely; I seem to remember that the TTax
    license had a "no reverse engineering" provision and I'm a firm believer
    that the object of the game is to be as honest as the law allows.

    --
    Joe Kesselman,

    Joe Kesselman, Apr 9, 2012
  9. Henry

    japisoft Guest

    http://free.editix.com

    This is free XML Editor and you can use it as a reader / writer.

    Best wishes,

    Alexandre Brillant

    "Henry" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
    jl88h6$t8h$...

    I'm running WinXP Pro SP3. Is there a free xml reader that will allow me to
    read and save the contents of ItsDeductableData.xml from the TurboTax CD? I
    tried googling for one but couldn't find one that would work. I notice the
    release of XMLmind editor but I only want to read and save the contents of
    the file to my hard drive so I think that's overkill. Also, is it free? I'm
    very new to XML.

    Thank you,

    Henry

    japisoft, May 7, 2012