.NET gotchas

Steve Slatcher

I feel pretty comfortable with XML, though it is some time since I have
worked with it, but recently I have had cause to look at how the .NET
Framework classes deal with XML. It did not take me long to establish that
actually the XmlTextReader is not an "XML Processor" (please correct me if I
am wrong) because it does not expand entities. And neither does it
normalise attributes by default, which seems to explain why trailing spaces
in web.config files, e.g., are treated as significant!

And these issues are way before you start considering some of the finer
points of validation against DTDs and XML Schemas. I find this a bit
worrying, and I am sure I am not the first. So my question is: does anyone
know of a guide to XML and .NET that will highlight the various issues with
interoperability?

Failing that, please feel free to list them here :)

Cheers

Steve Slatcher