NET::LDAP Problems.....

bluengreen

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this project?

A couple of things that I recently discovered....

1 - the bind and bind_as methods will return results if you provide a
empty password....
2 - The search does not work when searching against DN's.

Maybe I'm missing how to do this or something. Anyone who may know
how to correct these problems please share the wealth.

Is this project still alive or should I try the alternative? I think
this library is the most functional I have seen but still some bumps.

Thanks,
Phill

ara.t.howard

Net::LDAP is alive and well. The current source tree includes some
SNMP-oriented functionality that is not yet in the released packages, but
otherwise the library is essentially at production level.

we just taught a class last week on ruby and i had a friend come in and
present on net::ldap. he runs the peoplesoft db which employs a federated
authentication system for the university of colorado and has been using
net::ldap for a year or two in production with no issues.
Do you have any feature requests?

perhaps exporting the information on the cause of exit codes. eg:

#
# determining reason for exit code == 49
#
if @ldap.get_operation_result.code == 49
Net::LDAP.open:)host => @ldap.host,
:port => @ldap.port,
:auth => @auth) do |conn|
@entry = conn.search:)base => @account_base,
:filter => "uid=#{ uid }",
:attributes => ["userpassword"])
if test_sha_password(pw, @entry[0].userpassword[0])
retval = [false, "Password good, but expired."]
else
retval = [false, "Invalid credentials, please try again."]
end
end
end

i think this information is exported by the ldap server right?

-a

Stephan Mueller

Hi Francis,

* Francis Cianfrocca said:
I wrote a Ruby-scriptable LDAP server based on the Net::LDAP protocol
implementation and have used it for special purpose attribute servers,
directory aggregators, etc. Works quite well. If there is enough interest in
this, I can publish it as well.

i for one would love to see such a thing. I could not say that i will
use it for any project for sure but i would love to play with it and try
some things. So if it is not way too much work to package this, go for
it! :D

Cheers,

Steph.

PS: Net::LDAP rocks!

Amos King

I'd like to see it

Hi Francis,

--
Amos King
Ramped Media

bluengreen

[...]

Thanks those are good suggestions. I too am in Coloraodo. I'm in
Fort Collins. I've been wanting to get down that way for user group
meetings but lately my development schedule has not permitted.

Do you ever attend those? If so maybe I'll see you there.

Thanks,
Phill

Brian Candler

Hi Francis,

i for one would love to see such a thing. I could not say that i will
use it for any project for sure but i would love to play with it and try
some things. So if it is not way too much work to package this, go for
it! :D

I wrote a ruby-ldapserver a while back and stuck it on rubyforge. It doesn't
depend on Net::LDAP, except for its test cases I think.

Anyway, it may be of interest in itself or as a comparison.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-ldapserver

Regards,

Brian.