Netbeans failure mode

Lars Enderin

Wesley said:

Since nobody actually uses Google Group ratings, and since I and Arne
don't post via Google Groups, the ratings are absolutely useless. One
star is probably the default, and is never changed. Google Groups don't
own Usenet.
An unbiased source if ever I saw one. :)

There must be thousands of looney-tunes with unsupervised internet
access then.

Maybe somebody rates an occasional post in GG, but you have to use GG to
do that. I don't use Google Groups, and most of the participants in this
Usenet group use other news readers via other providers.
Do you?

Let's do a google search on your posting history.

Ah. I see. It seems you think everyone is just another incarnation of
twisted/Paul.

So I guess I needn't take your remarks personally then.

I don't think I was "fooled" by anyone. I made up my own damn mind based
on the available evidence. What I saw was one person being patient and
trying to reason with another person, and that other person being
short-tempered, rude, and gratuitously insulting. That other person also
frequently strayed off-topic in this thread, which the first person did
not do nearly so much, mainly sticking to the core point he was trying
to make about netbeans.

You must be extremely gullible then, if you are not Twisted and arguing
in your own favour.
The short-tempered, rude, and often gratuitously off-topic one was Arne,
and the on-topic, patient, and at-least-trying-to-be-reasonable one was
decoder ring.

Make of that what you will.

It makes you a sock puppet.

The rest of your post tries to prove that secret decoder ring cannot be
Twisted because of almost simultaneous postings, different IPs, etc.
It's quite possible to post simultaneously using two different
newsreaders from the same or different workstations, and also to use
different services located in separate locations.

Jerry Gerrone

Since nobody actually uses Google Group ratings, and since I and Arne
don't post via Google Groups, the ratings are absolutely useless. One
star is probably the default, and is never changed.

Then why does it say two-hundred-and-something ratings rather than
zero?

I think Wesley's right: you just don't want to face the fact that your
behavior has met with significant disapprobation from the masses.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure google profiles don't show anything, or else
show three stars, by default until there's ratings. As a google user
myself I also think I'm more qualified than Wesley to make that claim.
So even if you disbelieve him ...
Maybe somebody rates an occasional post in GG, but you have to use GG to
do that. I don't use Google Groups

A blatant lie. Explain this profile:

http://groups.google.com/groups/pro...ADHQNT0MOiljeQiv1HAZp43o4cocwWvDVg2RHsu8f1bCg

(How interesting -- this one has an even more terrible star rating
than your newer one? That might explain your switch of identities, and
your present vehement denials of ever using Google Groups...)

One of the posts for this profile being

From: "(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Great SWT Program
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:39:01 -0800 (PST)
Gecko/2008020509 Firefox/3.0b3pre,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
[snip]

Google Group's buggy behaviour has been noted in several instances in
cljp, for example.

Sure looks like you posting *through* Google Groups, talking *about*
Google Groups, using that gmail address and Firefox 3.0b3pre, in a
certain notorious thread.
You must be extremely gullible then, if you are not Twisted and arguing
in your own favour.

He's not Twisted, and I don't think he's gullible either.
It makes you a sock puppet.

Nonsense. What utter hogwash. Do you really believe that only one
person on Earth can hold that opinion? Anyone who reads this thread
can make the same observations about Arne's behavior and about secret
decoder ring's, and draw the same conclusion. In fact, I'd say that
only Arne and his friends, being biased in Arne's favor, are going to
argue otherwise.

If I were someone more like *you* I might even argue that you must be
a sock puppet of Arne to be arguing in his favor like this when he's
so obviously been a rude and unpleasant character!

But I'm not paranoid that way, so my guess is you're just buddies that
stand up for one another, even when one is a *deserving* target of
opprobrium for some recent bad behavior.

Now you may have noticed that some of the more recent newcomers to
this group are showing signs of standing up to yours and Arne's and
Lew's bullying, along with some old hands (myself and Roedy, for
starters), and showing some group solidarity, particularly in this
thread, but only a raving nutbag would see this as evidence of a
conspiracy.

A normal person just sees it as evidence of the crows coming home to
roost.

Lars Enderin

Jerry said:
Then why does it say two-hundred-and-something ratings rather than
zero?

My, you have been busy! While you have been "rebutting" everything
indiscriminately, you have also been giving me and other people bad
ratings, and used your other aliases to boost your own ratings. You must
have 16 aliases at least, since a a few sample of your individual
ratings have 15 "users", whatever that means, and four stars or more. As
I said, nobody in his right mind would bother with ratings. They are
supposed to show how helpful you find the postings. Ridiculous! Nobody
but you can find your postings helpful, by any stretch of imagination.
I think Wesley's right: you just don't want to face the fact that your
behavior has met with significant disapprobation from the masses.

Which masses? The ones in your head, obviously.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure google profiles don't show anything, or else
show three stars, by default until there's ratings. As a google user
myself I also think I'm more qualified than Wesley to make that claim.
So even if you disbelieve him ...

It's all your doing, obviously.
A blatant lie. Explain this profile:
What part of "I don't use Google Groups" didn't you understand? The word
"use", probably. It's present tense. I used GG some months ago until I
found a free news server which gave me access to alt-off-topic, but I
have never used GG to access cljp, for example.
He's not Twisted, and I don't think he's gullible either.

Nonsense. What utter hogwash. Do you really believe that only one
person on Earth can hold that opinion? Anyone who reads this thread
can make the same observations about Arne's behavior and about secret
decoder ring's, and draw the same conclusion. In fact, I'd say that
only Arne and his friends, being biased in Arne's favor, are going to
argue otherwise.

What's obvious is that you are creating a phantom group of sycophants in
your favour. To make it sound more convincing, you even try to "argue"
with your other brainchildren, but on the whole you try to fool
unsuspecting readers into believing that you are the good guy, and Arne,
Lew, and I, etc, are villains ganging up on your poor selves.
If I were someone more like *you* I might even argue that you must be
a sock puppet of Arne to be arguing in his favor like this when he's
so obviously been a rude and unpleasant character!

But I'm not paranoid that way, so my guess is you're just buddies that
stand up for one another, even when one is a *deserving* target of
opprobrium for some recent bad behavior.

In which way are you paranoid then?
Now you may have noticed that some of the more recent newcomers to
this group are showing signs of standing up to yours and Arne's and
Lew's bullying, along with some old hands (myself and Roedy, for
starters), and showing some group solidarity, particularly in this
thread, but only a raving nutbag would see this as evidence of a
conspiracy.

"Recent newcomers", my foot. It's a conspiracy of one, if any.
A normal person just sees it as evidence of the crows coming home to
roost.

How would you know anything about how normal persons react?

Mike Schilling

Jerry said:
Then why does it say two-hundred-and-something ratings rather than
zero?

Because the dumbasses who do care about Google Group ratings tend to
stuff the ballot box, which is one of the reasons that anyone who's
not a dumbass ignores them. In fact, their only useful features is
that anyone who brings them up can safely be dismissed as a dumbass.

Jerry Gerrone

Then why does it say two-hundred-and-something ratings rather than
zero?

[false accusations deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

Outrageous accusations! Please retract them or furnish proof. Why
don't you think we both come by our star ratings honestly? Is it
really so unbelievable that the general public might dislike a bully
who posts lots of flamebait and browbeating, and that that same public
might take a shine to that bully's victims?

I personally find that easier to believe than your paranoid conspiracy
theories.

And I think you'll find that many other people do, too.
I think Wesley's right: you just don't want to face the fact that your
behavior has met with significant disapprobation from the masses.

Which masses? [insult deleted]

No, you're the crazy one. All the evidence points to paranoia with
complex delusional features.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.
It's all your doing, obviously.

That is only "obvious" to a paranoid lunatic, of course.
What part of "I don't use Google Groups" didn't you understand?

Oh, I understood it perfectly. I just didn't believe it, and indeed I
quickly found proof that it was not true.

I notice you did not quote my proof. I guess you found it
embarrassing.
I used GG some months ago

Well, there you go, then.

Now you admit the truth. You have, indeed, used Google Groups.
[excessive amounts of unreplied-to quoted material deleted]
Nonsense. What utter hogwash. Do you really believe that only one
person on Earth can hold that opinion? Anyone who reads this thread
can make the same observations about Arne's behavior and about secret
decoder ring's, and draw the same conclusion. In fact, I'd say that
only Arne and his friends, being biased in Arne's favor, are going to
argue otherwise.

What's obvious is that you are [paranoid ravings deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.

Seek help. You probably have adult-onset schizophrenia. With the
proper medications, you can probably return to living a fully normal
life. However, if you don't, your paranoid delusions and increasingly
erratic and violent behavior will destroy your career and your
relationships, probably before your next birthday, and you'll find
yourself living on the streets yelling at lampposts and accusing every
passing motorist of being a sock-puppet of your imaginary arch-
nemesis.
you are the good guy, and Arne, Lew, and I, etc, are villains ganging up
on you

Perhaps there is hope for you yet.

Do take note: the people you accuse of being me have all made their
debuts to this newsgroup, as near as I can tell, by posting on-topic
posts, many of them helping others rather than requesting help. I
myself made my debut a couple of years ago doing likewise.

In the meantime, who has shown a tendency to start new relationships
off on the wrong foot by lashing out in hostility at just about anyone
who happens to be new?

Yeah, that's right. You, and, especially, Lew and Arne and a couple of
others.

Several people have called these people on their behavior. I find one
especially interesting: Roedy has called Lew on this behavior several
times and I don't notice Lew, or you, or Arne, or anyone else accusing
him of being a sock-puppet. I wonder why?

If you do believe he's a sock-puppet, it's strangely inconsistent and
incoherent of you not to make such accusations. On the other hand, if
you do not, it puts the lie to your thesis that anyone who considers
any of you to be the villains is just me in disguise, now, doesn't it?

Face it. I am quite definitely not the only person that doesn't like
your behavior.

If your whole ego structure will implode if you accept the truth,
instead of clinging to your paranoid fantasy that you're really great
guys and everyone sees it except one single person, who is some sort
of nefarious and quasi-demonic figure with uncanny powers over
computers, well I say let your ego structure implode. You'll probably
be better off for it.

Besides, you have a genuinely nasty quasi-demonic enemy with uncanny
powers in NewsMaestro. Perhaps you should turn your abundant energies
and negative attitude upon that asshole and spare newbies and the
people you accuse of being me (including the actual me) your misplaced
wrath? I have, or at least had, something constructive to contribute
before you began your negative-sum harassment campaign. So did several
other people that you successfully hounded out of cljp, and so I
suspect do the several people you're currently hounding.

If they really are rotten apples for whatever reason, they will prove
it at some point and they can be dealt with at that time. But
viciously attacking newbies of unproven worth just because you think
they might be me? Ludicrously bad manners!
In which way are you paranoid then?

Why, in no way at all, of course. Unlike you, I am quite rational. I
don't even bear a grudge against you or anything. I hate the sickness,
not the sick man; you're really just another of its victims. If I knew
how, I'd figure out how to cure schizophrenia in all its forms and I
wouldn't even patent the cure, even though that means I'd soon have to
contend with competitors selling cheap knock-offs. Better that it
become widely available to anyone in need, whatever their financial
means, than that I personally get rich, I think.

Unfortunately, sometimes your behavior is troublesome, and
occasionally it even poses something of a threat, and then I am
forced, reluctantly, to intervene in my own defense or in the defense
of another.

But I bear no ill will to anyone here. Indeed, quite the reverse.
Unfortunately I have only limited means to try to make changes here
for the better. Posting useful stuff about Java was what I did before,
but you and your bunch started attacking me in a knee-jerk fashion and
it became a bad idea -- by trying to help in any thread, all I could
do at that point was ensure it turned into a flamefest utterly useless
to the OP. Since then I've been watching you slowly destroy this
newsgroup, driving away many of the brighter-seeming and potentially
helpful newbies (as well as the droves of AOLers asking to "join", at
least *some* of whom might have otherwise eventually become productive
and useful members of the community if given a chance) and
periodically giving it a thorough napalming whenever someone rubbed
you the wrong way.

So staying away is useless too, especially since I'm frequently
attacked "in absentia" and have to pop up at least briefly to defend
myself.

Hence, it seems that the best thing I can do for cljp at this time is
to try to convince you of the error of your ways.

Alternatively, we could make a deal: I don't post here, using any of
my google accounts (though lately I only use this one account to post
here), and you (this means all of you, not just Lars) stop randomly
attacking people, accusing them of being me; try to be more polite to
newbies; and do not verbally abuse me by any of the names on those
google accounts. Also, you don't attack Paul. He made his wishes clear
a few weeks ago, and he appears to be uninterested in your silly
quarreling, to judge by his disappearing again after making only the
one post.

Note 1: If you leave any parting flames for me, I will make parting
rebuttals containing the usual "none of the nasty things that you have
said or implied about me are at all true" before vanishing.

Note 2: I've done some examining of recent threads (partly by
searching the newsgroup for mentions of "Twisted" and "Paul", then
sorting by date) and have a short list of newbies you've recently been
abusing that you ought to let be:

* Wesley MacIntosh. He promised to bow out of this and other off-topic
threads when he saw how nasty was the stuff he'd just stepped in, and
he appears to have kept his word. I see an on-topic post or two of his
since that date, and no off-topic ones. I think you've misjudged him
terribly (even though he flamed me mildly twice), and perhaps you even
owe him an apology. But I'll settle for you leaving him be. If you
dislike him intensely, killfile him. Indeed, judicious use of
killfiles by you and Arne, and the killfiling of people *before*
rather than *after* insulting them by Lew, would have prevented much
of this unpleasantness in the first place.

* secret decoder ring. Whatever you think about his opinion on how
NB's updating should be implemented, and regardless of the snarkiness
of the last few posts he wrote in reply to Arne, he seems to have been
treated more poorly than he deserved. He started out by posting on-
topic stuff (well, maybe marginally in the case of this NetBeans
thread), and what he got in return was trolled by you people. Baited
into getting into ridiculous and long arguments, then accused of being
me. Indeed, the more general pattern seems to be: you see newbie, you
troll newbie, if newbie takes the bait, you accuse newbie of being me.
What a sad, sad way to use a newsgroup!

* Harold Yarmouth. More or less the same story as secret decoder ring,
though he was more commonly asking than answering questions.

It may actually be too late in the case of the latter two: secret
decoder ring hasn't posted in days, and Yarmouth in weeks. I think
maybe you can chalk up two more newbies you've succeeded in driving
away from cljp. I hope you're proud!
"Recent newcomers", my foot. It's a conspiracy

As I said previously, with the right medication you will probably no
longer believe this nonsense and you'll be able to live a full and
productive life.
How would you know anything about how normal persons react?

I am one. I know plenty of others. Furthermore, I read quite a bit.

Your shoddy Google rating is a consequence of your own behavior.

Think about it. And consider carefully taking at least one of the
three actions mentioned above; to summarize:
1. Seek help.
2. Cogitate for a while and understand the error of your ways. Make a
New Year's resolution to be a model netizen from 2009 on.
3. Be polite to newbies, stop accusing random people of being me, and
stop randomly posting public flamebait and flames aimed at me and at
Paul and at anyone else for that matter; if you wish, I will stop
posting to cljp if you agree to do the above and only after I've
rebutted any parting insults aimed at me.

The above goes for Lew, Arne, and anyone else showing the same kinds
of behavioral problems as you. I will not stop posting to cljp unless
the behaviors that you are to stop in item 3 are stopped by all who
engage in them; in particular, I reserve the right to pop up briefly
to rebut any future insults aimed at me, go "tsk, tsk, tsk", or
similarly, in posts no less polite than this one, in response to any
infraction.

P.S. The above is eminently reasonable as judged by any normal, non-
paranoid human being, and this entire post has been worded fairly
politely.

Therefore, if you reject it (explicitly, or implicitly by attacking me
or continuing to engage in other bad behavior around here) people may
well draw the obvious conclusions about you from your actions.

(That last is not a threat; it is a warning and it is offered in good
faith.)

Jerry Gerrone

Because the dumbasses who do care about Google Group ratings tend to
stuff the ballot box, which is one of the reasons that anyone who's
not a dumbass ignores them.  In fact, their only useful features is
that anyone who brings them up can safely be dismissed as a dumbass.

I somehow doubt that Wesley will appreciate your implicitly calling
him a "dumbass". He will probably appreciate your veiled accusation
that he's "stuffed the ballot box" even less.

Then again, he might just laugh at your silliness. Especially since a
cursory examination of his post headers indicates that he isn't a GG
user, so the notion that he might be "stuffing the ballot box" seems
particularly ludicrous.

Or maybe you think anyone who can figure out the stuff he did from
post headers is a master hacker that can breach Google's security at
whim?

In that case, you should, logically, fear the consequences of making
him mad.

Mike Schilling

Jerry said:
Then again, he might just laugh at your silliness. Especially since
cursory examination of his post headers indicates that he isn't a GG
user, so the notion that he might be "stuffing the ballot box" seems
particularly ludicrous.

You're a GG user, in all of your incarnations.

Jerry Gerrone

You're a GG user

Yes I am. How astute of you to notice. But Wesley isn't, and it's
Wesley who brought up the topic of star ratings, and therefore Wesley
who you implied was a dumbass and a ballot-box-stuffer.

I only discussed star ratings here after Wesley brought the subject up
and Lars responded with something known in the technical literature as
a "howler".

If your statement was meant to apply to *anyone* who discusses them,
no matter whether they brought the subject up themselves or only
responded after someone else did, then you also called me a dumbass
and accused me of stuffing the ballot box. And you also called Lars a
dumbass and accused him of stuffing the ballot box. And you also
called yourself a dumbass and implicitly admitted to stuffing the
ballot box yourself. :)

Have a nice day.

Mike Schilling

Jerry said:
Yes I am. How astute of you to notice.

And, oddly, the people you dislike all have low ratings, when ratings
can only be assigned by a GG user.

Jerry Gerrone

And, oddly, the people you dislike all have low ratings, when ratings
can only be assigned by a GG user.

I don't think it's really so odd, given their unpleasant personalities
as frequently demonstrated in this newsgroup (and occasionally
commented upon, not only by myself but by secret decoder ring, Roedy,
Harry, and others).

But hey, if you want to believe there's some great big conspiracy out
to get you, or that Wesley or me or someone else is stuffing the
ballot box, because that lets you sleep better at night, well really,
why should I care?

I just don't like your making public insinuations of a nasty sort,
that's all.

I could also take issues with other parts of your post, e.g. "the
people you dislike" -- more like "the people that dislike me, and that
I pity"; and that we have discussed precisely two peoples' low google
ratings in this thread, Arne's and Lars's, when "the people that
dislike me" seems to include several more individuals -- well, unless
of course they're all sock puppets of yours, Mike. ;)

But I'm not paranoid enough to think so.

Lars Enderin

Jerry said:
Jerry said:
Wesley MacIntosh wrote:
Lars Enderin wrote:
I don't believe that anybody takes Google Group ratings seriously.
Sez someone whose rating isn't much better:
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=SN3XGhYAAAA5Zic9IN9G...
Since nobody actually uses Google Group ratings, and since I and Arne
don't post via Google Groups, the ratings are absolutely useless. One
star is probably the default, and is never changed.
Then why does it say two-hundred-and-something ratings rather than
zero?
[false accusations deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

Outrageous accusations! Please retract them or furnish proof. Why
don't you think we both come by our star ratings honestly? Is it
really so unbelievable that the general public might dislike a bully
who posts lots of flamebait and browbeating, and that that same public
might take a shine to that bully's victims?

The samples of your writings that I checked in GG could not possibly
have got their ratings by honest means. They were in alt.off-topic,
which has very few readers, and the content could not have been rated
helpful by anybody but you.
One subthread had three entries, two by you, both rated 4*, and one by
another, whom I know you don't hate as much as you hate me, who got 2*.
Your ratings were by 16 and 15 users, resp. The 2 star rating was
allegedly by 3 users, and for the only message with a semblance of real
content. Your scenario is impossible.
I personally find that easier to believe than your paranoid conspiracy
theories.

And I think you'll find that many other people do, too.
I think Wesley's right: you just don't want to face the fact that your
behavior has met with significant disapprobation from the masses.
Which masses? [insult deleted]

No, you're the crazy one. All the evidence points to paranoia with
complex delusional features.

It's logically impossible that a lot of random persons would go to the
trouble of rating mine and your postings in GG. It has to be you in your
different incarnations.
None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

That is only "obvious" to a paranoid lunatic, of course.

Oh, I understood it perfectly. I just didn't believe it, and indeed I
quickly found proof that it was not true.

You proved the wrong thing. I don't use GG since a few months, and that
was what I said.
I notice you did not quote my proof. I guess you found it
embarrassing.

It's embarrassing to you, because it shows the wrong thing. But that's
how you work.
Well, there you go, then.

Now you admit the truth. You have, indeed, used Google Groups.

I never denied that. I don't use it now.
[excessive amounts of unreplied-to quoted material deleted]
Nonsense. What utter hogwash. Do you really believe that only one
person on Earth can hold that opinion? Anyone who reads this thread
can make the same observations about Arne's behavior and about secret
decoder ring's, and draw the same conclusion. In fact, I'd say that
only Arne and his friends, being biased in Arne's favor, are going to
argue otherwise.

You may think so. Nobody else does.
What's obvious is that you are [paranoid ravings deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.

You have no case.
Perhaps there is hope for you yet.

Your typical misleading quoting will only work against you.
Do take note: the people you accuse of being me have all made their
debuts to this newsgroup, as near as I can tell, by posting on-topic
posts, many of them helping others rather than requesting help. I
myself made my debut a couple of years ago doing likewise.

In the meantime, who has shown a tendency to start new relationships
off on the wrong foot by lashing out in hostility at just about anyone
who happens to be new?

Yeah, that's right. You, and, especially, Lew and Arne and a couple of
others.

You have got your treatment because of your behaviour, nothing else. You
and the other cronies have put the wrong foot down several times, and
kept doing so.
Several people have called these people on their behavior. I find one
especially interesting: Roedy has called Lew on this behavior several
times and I don't notice Lew, or you, or Arne, or anyone else accusing
him of being a sock-puppet. I wonder why?

Roedy has his own unrelated problems. Don't involve him.
If you do believe he's a sock-puppet, it's strangely inconsistent and
incoherent of you not to make such accusations. On the other hand, if
you do not, it puts the lie to your thesis that anyone who considers
any of you to be the villains is just me in disguise, now, doesn't it?

Face it. I am quite definitely not the only person that doesn't like
your behavior.

I know enough about you to never accept anything you say as the truth.
If your whole ego structure will implode if you accept the truth,
instead of clinging to your paranoid fantasy that you're really great
guys and everyone sees it except one single person, who is some sort
of nefarious and quasi-demonic figure with uncanny powers over
computers, well I say let your ego structure implode. You'll probably
be better off for it.

You won't recognize the truth no matter how it's presented to you.
Besides, you have a genuinely nasty quasi-demonic enemy with uncanny
powers in NewsMaestro. Perhaps you should turn your abundant energies
and negative attitude upon that asshole and spare newbies and the
people you accuse of being me (including the actual me) your misplaced
wrath? I have, or at least had, something constructive to contribute
before you began your negative-sum harassment campaign. So did several
other people that you successfully hounded out of cljp, and so I
suspect do the several people you're currently hounding.

Have you seen anything from NewsMaestro lately? Not my concern. You seem
to be the one with abundant energies, but you are misusing them.
If they really are rotten apples for whatever reason, they will prove
it at some point and they can be dealt with at that time. But
viciously attacking newbies of unproven worth just because you think
they might be me? Ludicrously bad manners!

You are not guessing anything. You are trying to fool everybody that you
and your "cronies" are the good guys, despite overwhelming evidence to
the contrary.
Why, in no way at all, of course. Unlike you, I am quite rational. I
don't even bear a grudge against you or anything. I hate the sickness,
not the sick man; you're really just another of its victims. If I knew
how, I'd figure out how to cure schizophrenia in all its forms and I
wouldn't even patent the cure, even though that means I'd soon have to
contend with competitors selling cheap knock-offs. Better that it
become widely available to anyone in need, whatever their financial
means, than that I personally get rich, I think.

How noble of you! First, you attribute your own faults to your
opponents, and then you forgive them! Your impersonation of a reasonable
person may fool somebody who hasn't seen what you have written the past
few years, but no informed person will be swayed by your sweet talk.
Psychopaths can be very convincing, I have been told.

The rest of what your write isn't worth citing...

Jerry Gerrone

Outrageous accusations! Please retract them or furnish proof. Why
don't you think we both come by our star ratings honestly? Is it
really so unbelievable that the general public might dislike a bully
who posts lots of flamebait and browbeating, and that that same public
might take a shine to that bully's victims?

[insults deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.

Since the insults you just wrote do not constitute any kind of proof
of your accusations, I will take them to be an implicit retraction of
your accusation instead.

Let the record show that Lars, having failed to prove his accusation,
has backed down from his untenable claim.
One subthread had three entries, two by you, both rated 4*, and one by
another, whom I know you don't hate as much as you hate me, who got 2*.
Your ratings were by 16 and 15 users, resp.

Ridiculous. If I was really able to manipulate things as you
originally claimed, wouldn't mine both show five stars, and from a
much higher number of supposed users? And wouldn't my unnamed enemy
have only one? Yet you say they are four and two. That suggests that
the stars reflect real opinions, which lean in one direction but are
somewhat divided or are not particularly strong, rather than that
anyone is stuffing the ballot box.
Your scenario is impossible.

My scenario is not only possible, it's probable. Different people
obviously have different opinions as to how the star ratings are
supposed to be used, and/or what constitutes "real content". If the
posts in question were in the group you say, then it's especially
unlikely that there's going to be a strong consensus as to what is
"real content" and what isn't.

On the other hand, it is conceivable to the non-paranoid mind that
other factors could influence how people rate posts. For example, a
politely-worded message might count for more than a flame in some
peoples' eyes. Especially in a group where nothing is off-topic per se
(or where everything is?) the topic of a post can be expected to have
less influence than elsewhere, and how naughty or nice it is might
become the dominating influence on how people choose to rate it.
It's logically impossible that a lot of random persons would go to the
trouble of rating mine and your postings in GG.

Why? It might seem unlikely, but it doesn't strike me as "logically
impossible" at all. Indeed, it seems to have happened!
It has to be you in your different incarnations.

Why?

If I were one to believe in conspiracy theories, I might suspect that
*you* had rigged the ratings. Of course, why vote against your own
posts and for mine? Perhaps to support a future public accusation that
*I* had rigged the ratings, as yet another attempt to smear my
character in public.

But I'm not paranoid, so I don't believe that.
Oh, I understood it perfectly. I just didn't believe it, and indeed I
quickly found proof that it was not true.

[insult deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
I notice you did not quote my proof. I guess you found it
embarrassing.

[insult deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
Well, there you go, then.
Now you admit the truth. You have, indeed, used Google Groups.

[calls me a liar]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
You may think so. Nobody else does.

The evidence says otherwise.
[...]

I don't have any "cronies". You seem to *be* a crony yourself, though.
Several people have called these people on their behavior. I find one
especially interesting: Roedy has called Lew on this behavior several
times and I don't notice Lew, or you, or Arne, or anyone else accusing
him of being a sock-puppet. I wonder why?

Roedy has [implied insult deleted]

Your posts grant me a fascinating and unique look into the mind of a
delusional psychotic. I think maybe I'll use this some day in a case
history. With your permission, of course. :)
[...]

And as I believe I already mentioned, I don't have any "cronies". I'm
not making any particular effort to recruit, or foment a revolution,
or anything like that. Too busy with other things. All I do is pop up
occasionally and rebut nonsense such as you've just posted.

If there are hints of discontent and perhaps revolution brewing, you
have only yourself and your equally-unpleasant associates to blame for
it, and it's entirely spontaneous. The most I ever did to instigate
such a thing was to set an example by standing up for myself when
bullied by the likes of you.
How noble of you!

Why, thank you. :)
First, [false accusation deleted], and then you forgive them! Your [calls
me a liar][numerous additional insults deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

I forgive you because I believe you to be acting less out of malice
than out of erroneous beliefs combined with what I'm sure you believe
to be good intentions.

Also, because disputes, fights, and wars only ever seem to end after
one side forgives the other its (perceived or actual) crimes and
extends the olive branch, and eventually the other side reciprocates.

Someone has to be first. It might as well be I.

Lars Enderin

Jerry said:
Outrageous accusations! Please retract them or furnish proof. Why
don't you think we both come by our star ratings honestly? Is it
really so unbelievable that the general public might dislike a bully
who posts lots of flamebait and browbeating, and that that same public
might take a shine to that bully's victims?
[insults deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.

Since the insults you just wrote do not constitute any kind of proof
of your accusations, I will take them to be an implicit retraction of
your accusation instead.

Let the record show that Lars, having failed to prove his accusation,
has backed down from his untenable claim.

Pretty lame, even coming from you. I could say the same thing about your
boilerplate denials, and with much greater justification.
Ridiculous. If I was really able to manipulate things as you
originally claimed, wouldn't mine both show five stars, and from a
much higher number of supposed users? And wouldn't my unnamed enemy
have only one? Yet you say they are four and two. That suggests that
the stars reflect real opinions, which lean in one direction but are
somewhat divided or are not particularly strong, rather than that
anyone is stuffing the ballot box.

How would you drum up more than 16 "users", except by using more than 16
aliases? The contents of the three messages, except for, and even
including, cited material, is very little and definitely not worth
rating at all. And I mentioned that you do not hate that person as much
as you hate me, so you let the rating reflect that, and tried to be a
little modest by restricting your own rating to 4*. But the concept of
any rating at all is absurd for that exchange.
My scenario is not only possible, it's probable. Different people
obviously have different opinions as to how the star ratings are
supposed to be used, and/or what constitutes "real content". If the
posts in question were in the group you say, then it's especially
unlikely that there's going to be a strong consensus as to what is
"real content" and what isn't.

The whole thing is improbable except as your own doing.
On the other hand, it is conceivable to the non-paranoid mind that
other factors could influence how people rate posts. For example, a
politely-worded message might count for more than a flame in some
peoples' eyes. Especially in a group where nothing is off-topic per se
(or where everything is?) the topic of a post can be expected to have
less influence than elsewhere, and how naughty or nice it is might
become the dominating influence on how people choose to rate it.

There was nothing of any value in those posts, thus nothing worth rating.
Why? It might seem unlikely, but it doesn't strike me as "logically
impossible" at all. Indeed, it seems to have happened!

Common logic, not strict logic, says that it is impossible, which
actually means extremely unlikely.
Why?

If I were one to believe in conspiracy theories, I might suspect that
*you* had rigged the ratings. Of course, why vote against your own
posts and for mine? Perhaps to support a future public accusation that
*I* had rigged the ratings, as yet another attempt to smear my
character in public.

So that's how you think when you restrict your ratings to 4*? I think
you do.
But I'm not paranoid, so I don't believe that.
What part of "I don't use Google Groups" didn't you understand?
Oh, I understood it perfectly. I just didn't believe it, and indeed I
quickly found proof that it was not true.
[insult deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.

As I said above, boilerplate like that is a sign of defeat, as is
quoting out of context. You don't have an argument.

The rest of your post does not prove anything either.

Jerry Gerrone

Let the record show that Lars, having failed to prove his accusation,
has backed down from his untenable claim.

[insult deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
How would you drum up more than 16 "users"

Presumably by doing the same sort of hacking as to drum up 16, except
typing in a bigger number.

No, actually, the correct answer is I wouldn't, any more than I
drummed up 16, or even 1. I have done no hacking. I don't even use the
rating stars, and rarely even notice them.
The contents of the three messages, except for, and even
including, cited material, is very little and definitely not worth
rating at all.

In your opinion. Apparently some other peoples' opinions are not
identical to your own. How shocking -- there are other people in the
world than Lars Enderin, and some of them even appear to be capable of
independent thought!
[rest of paranoid fantasy deleted]

Please go back on your meds Lars.
My scenario is not only possible, it's probable. Different people
obviously have different opinions as to how the star ratings are
supposed to be used, and/or what constitutes "real content". If the
posts in question were in the group you say, then it's especially
unlikely that there's going to be a strong consensus as to what is
"real content" and what isn't.

[calls me a liar]

Am not.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.
There was nothing of any value in those posts, thus nothing worth rating.

In that case, why do you even care? I thought your opinion was that
"nobody pays attention to GG ratings". Funnily enough, it seems that
you pay attention to GG ratings. You are making quite a fuss about
them here. I wonder why? Perhaps your earlier statement was a
falsehood. Or your current behavior constitutes "arguing for the sake
of arguing". Or multiple people are sharing your account. Or, perhaps,
multiple personalities are sharing your head.

I couldn't venture to guess which without more information, of course.

Regardless, the evidence is that some people thought there was
something worth rating in those posts (which you still haven't cited
except very vaguely).

And why are you so reluctant to believe that there might exist, out of
nearly seven billion human beings on earth, a small handful that
exhibit opinions that differ markedly from your own? Even the proven
existence of one such person appears to gall you to no end, to the
point that the mere appearance of a post by that person or mention of
his name, and sometimes the mere drop of a hat, suffices to provoke
you into a rage, or goad you into posting flamebait such as all recent
posts of yours to this thread.

That's remarkable enough, but what really gets me is that you find the
thought of even one such person existing so terrible that you
steadfastly refuse to believe that there might be more than one.
Evidence that there are perhaps a couple of dozen is ignored by you --
why, they must all be me in disguise because the alternative is too
horrible to contemplate!

Said alternative being that the world contains a couple of dozen
people that don't hold the same opinions as you do.

You make me sad.

Why will you not seek help for your quite-evident problems?

Why self-destruct, and meanwhile subject us all to pointless off-topic
flamebait and flames?

Although you'll notice that I'm not rising to the bait. My replies
remain calm and quite polite, particularly compared to yours which are
full of baseless, evidence-free accusations of the worst sort, and
dripping with hostility, laced as they are with a liberal sprinkling
of personal attacks and veiled insults, sometimes even veiled threats.
Why? It might seem unlikely, but it doesn't strike me as "logically
impossible" at all. Indeed, it seems to have happened!

[backpedals to say it's unlikely, but not actually impossible]

Unlikely or not, it's actually happened.

How many Google Groups users are there? Several tens of millions? The
number that have rated the posts in question, going by your earlier
numbers of 16, 3, and 15 and assuming that these are all separate
votes (for a total of 34 users) rather than some of the users having
voted on two or all three of the posts (in which case the number might
be as low as 16) seem to indicate that at most about one one-millionth
of that population has voted on those posts.

So, if you consider someone voting on those particular posts to be a
really, REALLY unlikely, literally one-in-a-million, event, then the
number of votes on those posts actually seems to be about right. :)
If I were one to believe in conspiracy theories, I might suspect that
*you* had rigged the ratings. Of course, why vote against your own
posts and for mine? Perhaps to support a future public accusation that
*I* had rigged the ratings, as yet another attempt to smear my
character in public.

[something incoherent that might have been a false accusation]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.
What part of "I don't use Google Groups" didn't you understand?
Oh, I understood it perfectly. I just didn't believe it, and indeed I
quickly found proof that it was not true.
[insult deleted]
No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.

[insults deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

I notice you refusing to quote my recommendations that this stop, and
how it can stop in a manner that no reasonable person would consider
to be you "losing", or my mentions of extending an olive branch.

I wonder if you are completely beyond help and beyond hope. Still, I
must make the effort to get through to you. Somewhere inside you there
is probably a normal human being struggling to be free. Maybe it will
take therapy, or some suitable pharmaceutical, or some kind of
epiphany perhaps in the aftermath of some kind of trauma; I don't
know.

Until then, though, I shall continue to refute your public innuendos
about me and especially the more serious accusations, such as your
recent spate of accusations of nefarious Google-hacking. And whenever
I do so, I will take the opportunity to remind you again that it
doesn't have to be this way if you'll only decide it's time for a
change.

Have a nice day. :)

Lars Enderin

Jerry said:
Why will you not seek help for your quite-evident problems?

Why self-destruct, and meanwhile subject us all to pointless off-topic
flamebait and flames?

I have been wondering about you doing exactly that for years. Why do you?
Unlikely or not, it's actually happened.

Not the way you suggest.
I notice you refusing to quote my recommendations that this stop, and
how it can stop in a manner that no reasonable person would consider
to be you "losing", or my mentions of extending an olive branch.

Similar recommendations have been made to you, many times. I don't see
you quitting.

Lars Enderin

Lars Enderin wrote:

A follow-up on ratings: I checked this thread in Google Groups, and
found no ratings at all except where you or "secret decoder ring" were
involved. See, e g,
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...=gst&q=netbeans+failure+mode#e73500d64d55826d,
where Arne, Lew and Arved get one star ratings, whereas you and "secret
decoder ring" get five-star ratings and one four-star rating. Hardly a
coincidence, and the ratings were made by 14 to 17 users, the usual
numbers when you are involved.

Lew

Lars said:
Lars Enderin wrote:

A follow-up on ratings: I checked this thread in Google Groups, and
found no ratings at all except where you or "secret decoder ring" were
involved. See, e g,
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...=gst&q=netbeans+failure+mode#e73500d64d55826d,

where Arne, Lew and Arved get one star ratings, whereas you and "secret
decoder ring" get five-star ratings and one four-star rating. Hardly a
coincidence, and the ratings were made by 14 to 17 users, the usual
numbers when you are involved.

Oooh! I got rated? How exciting!

I couldn't have done it without the help of the Almighty. Thanks, bro!

Jerry Gerrone

I have been wondering about you doing exactly that for years. Why do you?

But I don't. You do. You'll notice that I've been fairly polite in
this thread, while you have been seething with nasty accusations and
gratuitous rudeness. Not only that, but I didn't even start posting to
this thread until you and others started posting flames and flamebait.
Unlikely or not, it's actually happened.

[calls me a liar]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
Similar recommendations have been made to you, many times. I don't see
you quitting.

I did quit. Then someone randomly called me names in this newsgroup
again, and I came back to rebut those lies, then quit again. Then
someone randomly called me names in this newsgroup again, and I came
back to rebut those lies, then quit again. The someone randomly called
me names...

Jerry Gerrone

involved. See, e g,http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_frm/t...,
where Arne, Lew and Arved get one star ratings, whereas you and "secret
decoder ring" get five-star ratings and one four-star rating. Hardly a
coincidence, and the ratings were made by 14 to 17 users, the usual
numbers when you are involved.

Hrm. Maybe I have a fan club? Not much of one though, if it has less
than twenty members.

But that wouldn't explain secret decoder ring getting good ratings.
And his having a fan club wouldn't explain mine.

No, my guess is that you, Lew, and Arne have an "anti-fan club",
members of whom reflexively blast your posts and boost the posts of
those that they see as standing up to you.

A bit of poking around reveals than it isn't all posts by you lot that
have bad ratings. There is a pattern. It seems that snarky posts have
a few one-star ratings, and outright flames, flamebait, and especially
off-topic flamebait get many more one-star ratings. Interesting. So
the raters ARE going by the content of the posts, contrary to your own
earlier claims!

I see polite and informative posts by Arne around cljp with no ratings
or with five-star ratings, and I see posts where he's rude and
unpleasant with no ratings or one-star ratings. I haven't had a close
look at yours or Lew's yet but I'm guessing the same pattern probably
applies.

In cljp, five star ratings seem to be given to posts that are helpful,
and to posts by people that have been heavily abused by Arne and
company. Particularly people that have clearly become targets of their
paranoia.

As near as I can tell from that, the star rating system is actually
working almost perfectly, although I don't think sympathy votes were
part of Google's master plan.

I see no evidence, however, that anyone is "stuffing the ballot box"
or otherwise hacking Google, and I don't see any evidence of
"antipathy votes" either, except for a handful aimed at me. My
from two users, probably you and one other, and that post, while off-
topic for cljp, is worded politely and is a sincere effort to bring
reason to end a destructive flamewar that has been harming this
newsgroup on and off for over a year.

I see no "antipathy votes" for you or Arne or Lew, however. The posts
I've looked at (mostly Arne's, since there's a lot of them and a lot
that have poor ratings as well as many with good ratings) seem to have
been rated for content -- every poorly-rated Arne post that I saw
contains rudeness or browbeating or outright flamage or is off-topic,
and every well-rated Arne post that I saw is Java-focused and non-
confrontational in character.

Two final public statements:

1. I don't want or need "sympathy votes", thank you, though of course
I can't speak for secret decoder ring. I don't take Google's star
ratings very seriously myself, though I disagree with Lars' blanket
universal claim of the same on behalf of the whole planet, for the
simple reason that there is evidence to the contrary.

2. To the best of my knowledge, Google star ratings have ballot
secrecy, and it would therefore be nigh-impossible to prove any
allegations of ballot-stuffing without inside help from Google
employees and access to some kind of logs. This whole stupid and
sordid flamewar is surely beneath Google's notice, so I don't see that
happening. It follows that nobody should be making such allegations,
for the simple reason that it is morally wrong to make serious
allegations that you are unable to support with evidence -- indeed, if
the allegations can be proven false, and possibly if they simply
cannot be proven true, it's potentially libel to post them. Certainly,
without proof you will convince few people other than your own toadies
and you will alienate a lot more people, since plenty of people don't
like people who make nasty accusations and assert wild charges without
evidence. Plenty more just plain dislike people that clutter up the
newsgroup with off-topic posts (and if one or both of the one-star
ratings on my own previous post to this thread is an "honest" one
rather than an antipathy vote, I expect it's for that post being off
the topic of Java).

Jerry Gerrone

Oooh!  I got rated?  How exciting!

I wouldn't be too excited. Apparently you got panned by the Google
Groups critics.

As for Lars's laughable allegations of nefarious Google hacking,
well ...

ROTFL!

As noted previously, Google's star ratings appear to have ballot
secrecy, so Lars' unproven allegations will forever remain exactly
that: unproven allegations.