Newbee problem with my banks drop-down menus

Gordon Abbot

My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox.
I ran the web pages through a web based html checker and it returned
some problems in that area (along with a whole lot more) I sent the
report to the bank and they are "working on the problem". That was a
month ago.

Is this the correct forum to post the html from the specific areas of
concern for help in diagnosing the problem, or is there somewhere else I
should go?

My interest is to get the pages working by shaming them into fixing it
so I do not have to use MSIE to do my on-line banking.

Thanks.

GA

hywel.jenkins

Gordon said:
My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox.
I ran the web pages through a web based html checker and it returned
some problems in that area (along with a whole lot more) I sent the
report to the bank and they are "working on the problem". That was a
month ago.

Is this the correct forum to post the html from the specific areas of
concern for help in diagnosing the problem, or is there somewhere else I
should go?

It might be, but I suspect your bank's developers are capable of fixing
it and will simply ignore your "I know better because some bloke on
usenet told me" attitude.

Travis Newbury

Gordon said:
My bank uses drop-down menus which do not work with Mozilla or Firefox...

My guess is they say that IE, possibly a specific version is required
if you want to do internet banking. If so, then telling them that it
does not work in a different browser is kind of pointless.

Gordon Abbot

Travis said:
My guess is they say that IE, possibly a specific version is required
if you want to do internet banking. If so, then telling them that it
does not work in a different browser is kind of pointless.
Actually, they say it works with Mozilla and Firefox on the website. The
bank people have been fine. Their programmers seem to be a bit in the dark.

GA

Gordon Abbot

It might be, but I suspect your bank's developers are capable of fixing
it and will simply ignore your "I know better because some bloke on
usenet told me" attitude.

I agree, but it is also for my edification. If the html code is fine
then there is something in my own setup that is causing the problem. If
so, that will be helpful to others who are having problems with the
bank's web pages. It will also help the programmers since they will know
the issue.

So, where can I post the section of code to have it analyzed? Here?

GA

David Segall

Gordon Abbot said:
My interest is to get the pages working by shaming them into fixing it
so I do not have to use MSIE to do my on-line banking.
Good idea. Meanwhile, to make your life easier, add the I.E. extension
to Firefox
<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1429&application=firefox>
It enables you to right click and then choose to view the page in
Internet Explorer so that you can check that it really is incompatible
with Firefox. It also enables you to specify sites that should always
be viewed with IE so that you do not have to get irritated every time
you select your bank site with Firefox.

Toby Inkster

Gordon said:
I agree, but it is also for my edification. If the html code is fine
then there is something in my own setup that is causing the problem.

So create a new Firefox profile, leave the settings as default, and try
with that,

Blinky the Shark

Good idea. Meanwhile, to make your life easier, add the I.E. extension
to Firefox
<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1429&application=firefox>
It enables you to right click and then choose to view the page in
Internet Explorer so that you can check that it really is incompatible
with Firefox. It also enables you to specify sites that should always be
viewed with IE so that you do not have to get irritated every time you
select your bank site with Firefox.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'd still be irritated every time I had to
use IE; the only difference would be that it would (I would hope) start up
on its own.

Gordon Abbot

Jonathan said:
Gordon Abbot wrote:

Cut to the chase, what is the URL?

Unfortunately, it is on the secure side of the site, in the users
accounts. The problem is you can see the main page and requires you to
use the drop down menu to get the breakdown pages (such as activity for
the month, view checks and the like).

GA

Jonathan N. Little

Gordon said:
Unfortunately, it is on the secure side of the site, in the users
accounts. The problem is you can see the main page and requires you to
use the drop down menu to get the breakdown pages (such as activity for
the month, view checks and the like).

Then it is the bank's problem. All you can do is inform them of the
problem, if they will only accommodate MSIE and that is a problem for
you (and it should be) find another bank and let them know why you are
changing your business. Nothing speaks more loudly to a bank than lost
business.