    15 is binary 1111
    if I shift this left 2 bits I get 11

    however in Python 15<<2 = 60 ?!

    gbblob, Feb 4, 2004

  2. In computer science, shifting a number 'k' bits to the left, is the same
    as adding 'k' zeroes to the right side. Shifting a number 'j' bits to
    the right, is the same as removing 'j' digits from the right side.

    15<<2 == 15 * 2**2
    15>>2 == 15 // 2**2

    This has been the way of things since at least the 1950's.

    - Josiah

    Josiah Carlson, Feb 4, 2004

  3. gbblob

    Jp Calderone Guest