newbie -how do you defend your decision?

Scooby Doo

As a new commer (hobbyist) this field, it's pretty hard not to get caught in
an anti microsoft debate. Open Source Apache/PHP vs MS .NET technologies. I
ran into this article from a link of a link of a link on another weblog. I
have actually been interested with .net ever since "it came out" late
2001(or whenver that was). It sounded revolutionary. I've read a book
"understanding .net" and have read other sites for regular reading liesure
just to understand more and kind of stay up to date about things

Anyways, I had written a bunch of other thoughts down trying to answer my
own questions, but I didn't want to sound like a complete fool so here it is
in short.

How do you argue IIS Security issues since "everyone" seems to believe it's
an accident waiting to happen just having IIS installed.
And also, their argument of .net being slower and more memory intensive
because "more code is needed to be compiled/executed to produce the same
output as simple php code". It sounds like it would make sense but I don't
know.

http://otn.oracle.com/pub/articles/hull_asp.html

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hey Scooby,

Here's a link that you might find helpful:

http://asp.net/whitepaper/whyaspnet.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

Concerning the Web server, IIS 6 is the most secure Web server available.
A recent independent study concluded that Windows Server 2003 is the most
secure operating system available today. If you really want to make it
rock solid, make sure you understand it properly and secure it properly.
Here's a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/secmod124.mspx

I think you'll find that one of the number one benefits of going with a
Microsoft solution is the support you get, whether from our MVPs,
employees, and customers here in the newsgroup, or via our PSS Support
Engineers. Our support is the best in the industry, bar none.

Another great reason to choose ASP.NET is coming down the pipe; ASP.NET
2.0. ASP.NET is already so cool that no one can touch it. ASP.NET 2.0 is
light years beyond what you use today.

I think our story is very good. I think those who are realistic in their
approach and are not persuaded by preexisting bias agree.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Mike Smith

"more code is needed to be compiled/executed to produce the same
output as simple php code".

u sure about that ? theres sooooooooo many things in .Net that makes dev so
fast and easy compare to php and the rest... with most of the plumbing code
done already, one just needs to concentrate on the biz logic.... displaying
data onto grids and doing validations is a breeze now..

Kevin Spencer

You say that it's pretty hard not to get caught in an anti microsoft debate.
Well, I suppose if you think that what people have to say is important, you
might. But people say all kinds of things, and there are all kinds of people
in the world. They all think (and say) just about everything under the sun.
What is the use of hearing it all?

Microsoft isn't going to rise or fall based upon the musings of an
overly-talkative public. They will rise and fall based upon a single fact:
How many people buy their products? That is what they base their business
decisions upon. Apparently, they make good ones.

You and I will not rise or fall based upon the musings of an
overly-talkative public. You and I will rise or fall based upon the
decisions we make. None of the opinion-makers will reap the reward of my
decisions. Therefore, none of them will help me make them.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

Kevin, it's not that I care about what people say. Regarding standard MS
hatred/monopoly crap, I laugh at people, don't even go there. I plaud MS for
finding a successful business model. But this isn't about me fitting into a
crowd/getting accepted so you can't bash me for "investigating".

I wasn't bashing you. There is a lot of debate going on out there, and quite
a few people who seem to want to know everyone's opinions about technology.
I was pointing out that such opinions are worth what they cost - nothing. I
just hate to see people wasting their time to find out what the prevailing
winds are. You're free to do so, though, if it pleases you.

BTW, if you didn't care what people say, why would you ask? ;-)

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer