Newbie needs basic help - JW69

I feel like I have made some real progress on a web site that I have
been working on, but now I am stuck with some basic stuff that both
makes me feel stupid and pisses me off.

If I have a basic web site that has a text input box, a print line and
a submit button...

user name = perlguy

--------------
- xxxxxx -
--------------

Entered data = xxxxxx

----------
- SUBMIT -
----------

the first time thru, the text box would read from a file (let's say it
has yyyyyy in the file) and the entered data field would have the same
output as the text box. Once I type in my xxxxxx's into the text box
and hit submit, the entered data would write to the input file and the
output would then look like what I entered above. I want to do this
in perl with only 1 web page. For example of what I mean by that is
no matter what I do on the site, it will always have the same address.
Like www.google.com will always be the web address and no matter what
you do, it will still be www.google.com. Here is how my current setup
looks:

read file
create text box with data from the file
create entered data field with data from the file
create submit button

I know that I am missing the write to the file step as well as how to
pass the user name from page to page. I would like to use a hidden
field, but I don't understand how it actually gets output from the
page and how it gets read in after the submit.

I know that this is basic stuff, but all the documentation that I have
read on the web (as well as in 2 books that I have here) go into great
detail on complicated stuff, but skip over the little stuff like what
I need to do. I also learn better by seeing examples and most of the
examples use lots of sub routines and variables that make it more
complicated to read and understand.

Thanks for any help that you may be able to give!!!