Newbie question about set focus to a textbox field

Guest

I am new to .net web development and have a simple question that has been asked for many times. However, by reading the postbacks, I still cannot fig out how to do it. In a Login.aspx page, I have two textbox fileds (UserID and Password) and a Button (Login), all of them are server controls. The code for the Login Button located in the Login.aspx.cs file will check the user is a valid one though records in a database. If the checking failed, I want to put the input focus on the UserID filed through client side script, not by redirect to the Login page itself. I notice that it can be done though way of emitting client side script, i.e., using RegisterClientScriptBlock call in the cs file. But I do not know exactly how to do it. Can somebody pass me sample code that works

Many thanks in advance

Following is the html code for the login.aspx pag