newbie to python

Hrishikesh

I want to start python, I have just downloaded python compiler, Can
somebody please tell me what python really is and explain its
architecture, in what problems it is used and from where should I
start?

Chris Rebert

I want to start python, I have just downloaded python compiler,

Most consider it an interpreter (though it does compile the source
code into high-level bytecode).
Can
somebody please tell me what python really is

A programming language. What's a question like that even mean?
and explain its
architecture,

Define "architecture" in this context.
in what problems it is used

Various and sundry; it's a general-purpose language.
But see http://www.python.org/about/apps/
and from where should I
start?

The official tutorial of course.
If you downloaded version 2.x: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/
If you downloaded version 3.x: http://docs.python.org/py3k/

Regards,
Chris

Steve Holden

I want to start python, I have just downloaded python compiler, Can
somebody please tell me what python really is and explain its
architecture, in what problems it is used and from where should I
start?

If you don't know the answers to *any* of those questions, one wonders
why you "want to start Python". Perhaps you can explain, or is this
simply trolling?

regards
Steve

rantingrick

If you don't know the answers to *any* of those questions, one wonders
why you "want to start Python". Perhaps you can explain, or is this
simply trolling?

Steve, I highly doubt this is an example of trolling we have witnessed
here. If it really *is* trolling then i would say the "alleged
troller" should visit xah's site for a crash course in professional
trolling ASAP because he's not very good at it -- i should know!

However, i have a good sense that our new friend is just very
inexperienced and looking for advice. He may have a very limited
knowledge --or even no knowledge of computer programming-- so that
would explain the "seemingly" nonsensicalness of his questions. But we
must always remember that every one here (*ahem* and i mean everyone S-
T-E-V-E-O!) had to start from the bottom and work his or her way up
the ladder of knowledge. So next time please try to be a little less
condescending.

Thanks

Steve Holden

Steve, I highly doubt this is an example of trolling we have witnessed
here. If it really *is* trolling then i would say the "alleged
troller" should visit xah's site for a crash course in professional
trolling ASAP because he's not very good at it -- i should know!

However, i have a good sense that our new friend is just very
inexperienced and looking for advice. He may have a very limited
knowledge --or even no knowledge of computer programming-- so that
would explain the "seemingly" nonsensicalness of his questions. But we
must always remember that every one here (*ahem* and i mean everyone S-
T-E-V-E-O!) had to start from the bottom and work his or her way up
the ladder of knowledge. So next time please try to be a little less
condescending.
Righty ho.

regards
s-t-e-v-e-o