newsreader for google groups

emekadavid

please can anyone recommend a newsreader for this newsgroup,
especially a threaded newsreader?
thanks
david

Daniel Pitts

emekadavid said:
please can anyone recommend a newsreader for this newsgroup,
especially a threaded newsreader?
thanks
david
BTW, its not a google groups. Google simply access this group. Usenet
is older than google itself, much older than Google Groups.

Personally, I use Thunderbird, since I use it for my POP mail already.
There are some things I wish it did better (what, no killfile?), but its
fairly useful and handles most of what I need.

Keep in mind, you'll need to get information on your ISPs NNTP (a.k.a.
news) server in order to use it. If your ISP doesn't provide one, you
can get service for pretty cheap. I get the $5/mo plan from
newsrazor.net, *way* more monthly bandwidth than I'll ever use.

Andrea Francia

Daniel Pitts wrote:|
There are some things I wish it did better (what, no killfile?)
You can use Tools -> Message Filters
Keep in mind, you'll need to get information on your ISPs NNTP (a.k.a.
news) server in order to use it. If your ISP doesn't provide one, you
can get service for pretty cheap. I get the $5/mo plan from
newsrazor.net, *way* more monthly bandwidth than I'll ever use.
There are also newsgroup with free access. Googling I found a page that
lists them. Actually I'm using nntp.aioe.org which is free.

Ajay

How do you read comp.lang.java.programmer using Google Reader?

So far as I can tell, Google Reader aggregates web pages and has nothing
to do with newsgroups.

Google lets newsgroups feed into a feed reader (such as google reader)
- the link is somewhere in the group settings - search help.

The only problem is - once you read a topic, its not displayed again,
even if there are new messages in the discussion!

Ajay