Nitro Screencasts

George Moschovitis

Dear devs,

while fixing the final issues for the 0.26.0 release I took some time
to experiment with
vnc2swf to create some screen casts for Nitro / Og. Nitro is a
sophisticated Web2.0 framework that utilizes Ruby and Javascript and
Og is an innovative, transparent and efficient ORM library.

You can find the first two screen casts here:

http://www.nitrohq.com/view/Videos

These two videos are experimental and certainly don't demonstrate the
full power of Nitro and
Og (far from it). But I hope you will like them anyway ;-) Stay tuned
for more impressive screen casts real soon!

For more information on Nitro/Og surf www.nitrohq.com or install the gem:

gem install nitro

best regards,
George.

George Moschovitis

Haven't tested with Safari, I have no access to a Mac (waiting for the
new intel based models). Glad to know that it works with firefox on
Mac.

-g.

Ok, Firefox seems to work. Wonder why Safari doesn't.

Logan Capaldo

Haven't tested with Safari, I have no access to a Mac (waiting for the
new intel based models). Glad to know that it works with firefox on
Mac.

-g.

Shiira 1.1 here (WebKit based browser). It did take a little while to
load, but it played the movie fine. Didn't actually try it in "real"
Safari.

pat eyler

Dear devs,

while fixing the final issues for the 0.26.0 release I took some time
to experiment with
vnc2swf to create some screen casts for Nitro / Og. Nitro is a
sophisticated Web2.0 framework that utilizes Ruby and Javascript and
Og is an innovative, transparent and efficient ORM library.

You can find the first two screen casts here:

Very nice. I'm convinced enough to go and build a toy with Nitro to
see where things go. This might work out well for some legacy DBs
I need to play nicely with.
http://www.nitrohq.com/view/Videos

These two videos are experimental and certainly don't demonstrate the
full power of Nitro and
Og (far from it). But I hope you will like them anyway ;-) Stay tuned
for more impressive screen casts real soon!

Sounds like a winner! Good luck with them.

George Moschovitis

Very nice. I'm convinced enough to go and build a toy with Nitro to
see where things go. This might work out well for some legacy DBs

Go ahead!

But remember, Nitro is not a toy, but a full featured web framework
for real world applications.

-g.

pat eyler

Go ahead!

But remember, Nitro is not a toy, but a full featured web framework
for real world applications.

I didn't mean to imply that Nitro was a toy. It's just that I
understand things
better when I've built a toy or to in them. Then I can go on to build some=
thing
real.

BTW, I just dropped a blog post at http://ablog.apress.com/?p=3D820 --
hopefully that will point a couple of eyes your way.

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_2916_32192337.1135097315329

... So is Rails, and the thing that helped build it's user base as a 10
minute video showing how to build a toy todo list ....

If it can build big things then it can build small things ... People need a
way in.

Since there is so little documentation, they really need SOMETHING that
shows them how....

I think a screencast is a great idea ...

Anyways, that's my $0.02

j.

--
"Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_2916_32192337.1135097315329--

George Moschovitis

Since there is so little documentation, they really need SOMETHING that
shows them how....

Be assured, there will be more screencasts. However, I plan to
demonstrate more sophisticated concepts (especially some of the
advanced features of Og that are simply not available in AR).

regards,
George.

pat eyler

Be assured, there will be more screencasts. However, I plan to
demonstrate more sophisticated concepts (especially some of the
advanced features of Og that are simply not available in AR).

Make sure you get both the high end and the low end. I'd love to see
a series of progressive screen casts that showed an app going from
simple to complex, with little side trips to do things like AJAX.

-pate

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Works fine in Safari for me. Nice job George.

-Ezra

Haven't tested with Safari, I have no access to a Mac (waiting for the
new intel based models). Glad to know that it works with firefox on
Mac.

-g.

Michael Fellinger

--nextPart1240370.RuLXLBXOka

Hey George,

Said it in IRC already, but have to repeat it:

The Videos rock!
(this is because of:)
Nitro rocks!
(wich partly is based on)
Og rocks!

Well, this is very much what i had to say :)

MfG
manveru

Am Dienstag, 20. Dezember 2005 12:31 schrieb George Moschovitis:
[...]

Ok, will do an AJAX demonstration next week. Ajax effects are so easy
to do with Nitro, thanks to the integration of Behaviour, Prototype
and Scriptaculous.

regards,
George.

Jeff Wood

--------------010105070705010903050800

George said:
Ok, will do an AJAX demonstration next week. Ajax effects are so easy
to do with Nitro, thanks to the integration of Behaviour, Prototype
and Scriptaculous.

regards,
George.
George,

Just finished watching the casts ... they rock ... very cool....

Good job.

j.

--------------010105070705010903050800--

m4dc4p

Impressive! I've looked at Nitro before but did not get the sense it
was capable of the things demonstrated.

Towards the end of the first video you show some sort of "form_helper"
being included, but it doesn't seem to actually work. You might want to
complete and/or remove that portion. I was certainly intrigued.

In the second video the "Nitro::Element" stuff looked really cool. That
definitely made me want to check out what you've done!

George Moschovitis

Towards the end of the first video you show some sort of "form_helper"
being included, but it doesn't seem to actually work. You might want to
complete and/or remove that portion. I was certainly intrigued.

Of course it works. Moreover, the underlying scaffolder handles
relations (has_many, many_to_many, etc) along with properties,
supports pluggable controls, searching, and more...

regards,
George.