No intellisense

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I am using c#. i have my server code within script tags on my aspx page i am
    not using code behind. Do you not get intellisense when working like this? it
    would speed up my work considerably but nothings happening. I may have a
    setting turned off but dont know where to look (have tried options, text
    editor but cant find anything).

    Also, I am a little confused about the concepts of projects and solutions. I
    am working on some files, we already have a web config, bin folder etc
    everything set up so i have to work on seperate pages unit by unit. i tried
    creating a project and bringing in all the existing stuff and it created lots
    of things i didnt want and wouldnt work, class files, code behind pages, and
    it affected my global.asax page. i cant debug as a result and i think i am
    working very slowly (no intellisense, no debug). How does one set themselves
    up a project with files that already exist? basically i dont understand what
    a 'solution' is either, and the point of them. Sorry i think maybe i need
    basic training on VS.NET, maybe i'm asking too much for this forum in which
    case would just appreciate answer to the above (any pointers towards a visual
    studio for dummies help file would be appreciated). Thanks.

    Guest, Nov 28, 2004

    Karl Seguin Guest

    No, you don't get intellisense while working with inline code. the next
    version of VS.Net (Visual Web Developer) will have this support however.

    A solution is simply a container of multiple projects. Projects are
    containers for all your code/aspx/whatever. Solutions let you have multiple
    projects and easily make one project reference another from the same
    solution. VS.Net uses the code-behind model - which you aren't/don't want
    to use - this likely explains [some] of the problems you are having (since
    you are using inline code). You might want to consider switching to
    codebehind to fully utilize VS.Net (projects/intellisense...)

    Hope this help,
    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Nov 28, 2004

    Guest Guest

    thank you. well since i sent this post i have tried copying stuff over to a
    new solution, taking the dlls and putting them into a new bin folder etc and
    so far so good..so now trying to use codebehind. i am now trying to create a
    code behind page but when i do view code nothing happens. i think this must
    be because i have only got <%Page%> at the top, no codebehind=.. what is the
    syntax for c#? (i'm assuming not filename.aspx.vb) is it filename.aspx.cs?

    Guest, Nov 28, 2004