No intellisense

Guest

Hi,

I am using c#. i have my server code within script tags on my aspx page i am
not using code behind. Do you not get intellisense when working like this? it
would speed up my work considerably but nothings happening. I may have a
setting turned off but dont know where to look (have tried options, text
editor but cant find anything).

Also, I am a little confused about the concepts of projects and solutions. I
am working on some files, we already have a web config, bin folder etc
everything set up so i have to work on seperate pages unit by unit. i tried
creating a project and bringing in all the existing stuff and it created lots
of things i didnt want and wouldnt work, class files, code behind pages, and
it affected my global.asax page. i cant debug as a result and i think i am
working very slowly (no intellisense, no debug). How does one set themselves
up a project with files that already exist? basically i dont understand what
a 'solution' is either, and the point of them. Sorry i think maybe i need
basic training on VS.NET, maybe i'm asking too much for this forum in which
case would just appreciate answer to the above (any pointers towards a visual
studio for dummies help file would be appreciated). Thanks.

Karl Seguin

No, you don't get intellisense while working with inline code. the next
version of VS.Net (Visual Web Developer) will have this support however.

A solution is simply a container of multiple projects. Projects are
containers for all your code/aspx/whatever. Solutions let you have multiple
projects and easily make one project reference another from the same
solution. VS.Net uses the code-behind model - which you aren't/don't want
to use - this likely explains [some] of the problems you are having (since
you are using inline code). You might want to consider switching to
codebehind to fully utilize VS.Net (projects/intellisense...)

Hope this help,
Karl

Guest

thank you. well since i sent this post i have tried copying stuff over to a
new solution, taking the dlls and putting them into a new bin folder etc and
so far so good..so now trying to use codebehind. i am now trying to create a
code behind page but when i do view code nothing happens. i think this must
be because i have only got <%Page%> at the top, no codebehind=.. what is the
syntax for c#? (i'm assuming not filename.aspx.vb) is it filename.aspx.cs?

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/