Notepad?

Travis Newbury

Nowhere said:
Could you just use Notepad to create a web site? Is it possible? Thanks.

Yes, but with so many good html/css editors out there that are free why
would you want to?

David Segall

Nowhere said:
Could you just use Notepad to create a web site? Is it possible? Thanks.
Not unless you are hosting the site on a local machine. You will
almost certainly also need an FTP program (Internet Explorer will do).

X l e c t r i c

Travis Newbury wrote:

"Yes, but with so many good html/css editors out there that are free why
would you want to?"

I'm looking for one, can you please post some names or URL's for me.
Preferably one that would also work with JavaScript, and if possible
PHP. I would appreciate it.

Later, Art.

Elephant

Nowhere said:
Could you just use Notepad to create a web site? Is it possible? Thanks.

Yes, you can use Notepad to create a web site. I did.

I prefered it, since I had never written anything in HTML before.
I know that sounds stupid, but doing it the hard way was a fantastic
learning experience for me. I learned more by trial and error than
letting a program do it for me.

Just my opinion.

Jonathan N. Little

X said:
Travis Newbury wrote:

"Yes, but with so many good html/css editors out there that are free why
would you want to?"

I'm looking for one, can you please post some names or URL's for me.
Preferably one that would also work with JavaScript, and if possible
PHP. I would appreciate it.

I use Crimson Editor, like the syntax highlighting (which is editable)
and is freeware
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Jonathan N. Little

David said:
Not unless you are hosting the site on a local machine.

Why? Because it doesn't have embedded FTP, many editors do not as well
and as you state below IE will work plus there are oodles of FTP clients
out there. Only real problem with Notepad other than the lack of
convenient feature was back in Win9x there was a file size limit about
50K (forgot exact figure), but your HTML is >50K better reevaluate your
coding!

You will
almost certainly also need an FTP program (Internet Explorer will do).

Krusty

Nowhere said:
Could you just use Notepad to create a web site? Is it possible? Thanks.

Sure, and when you need a break and have to go grab some food, you can build
yourself a car from scratch. Heck, why bother going to *get* some food? Why
not just go out, make yourself some arrows from nearby trees, and then just
go hunt your food.

I mean, you can just use arrows and fire to create a meal. It's possible.
Thanks.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Travis Newbury] on Monday 09 January 2006 10:53 \__
Yes, but with so many good html/css editors out there that are free why
would you want to?

Notepad is a terrible tool for anything which is beyond 'scribbling' of a few
notes. Do not attempt to write code using simple editors. It will only
consume more of your time, overall.

Mark Parnell's 'almost famous' list:

jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
screem: http://www.screem.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

Roy

David Segall

Jonathan N. Little said:
Why? Because it doesn't have embedded FTP, many editors do not as well
The question was "Could you _just_ use Notepad?" My answer was no
because FTP is almost always required and the answer would have been
the same if the OP had suggested any other editor that did not include
FTP. I did not attempt to dissuade the OP from using Notepad. I just
reminded him that the usual minimum requirement for setting up a web
page was a text editor _and_ an FTP client.

Jose

The question was "Could you _just_ use Notepad?" My answer was no
because FTP is almost always required

Well, actually Windows has a primitive FTP program built in.

Jose

Jonathan N. Little

David said:
The question was "Could you _just_ use Notepad?" My answer was no
because FTP is almost always required and the answer would have been
the same if the OP had suggested any other editor that did not include
FTP. I did not attempt to dissuade the OP from using Notepad. I just
reminded him that the usual minimum requirement for setting up a web
page was a text editor _and_ an FTP client.

Well if you want to split hairs, you can *create* a website with just
Notepad, just not publicly *publish* it, (unless you are working on a MS
server with a running public webserver...) ;-)

Stan McCann

I use Crimson Editor, like the syntax highlighting (which is
editable) and is freeware
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Crimson has one drawback for me. No SSH. I don't run an ftp server on
my servers; remote access is only through SSH. I use UltraEdit, which
although I had to pay for, has sftp (SSH) built in. I'm sure there are
other differences but mostly the two editors are quite similar.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, X l e c t r i c
I'm looking for one, can you please post some names or URL's for me.
Preferably one that would also work with JavaScript, and if possible
PHP. I would appreciate it.

This is brucie's list from a while ago, so not sure how up-to-date it
is, but...

HTML
free:
dirt and pointy stick: http://usenetshit.info/editor/
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

not free:
textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/
[$80]

PHP
phpedit: http://phpedit.org/ [$0]
Winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]
HydraPHP: http://www.coldmind.com/ [coming soon]
devphp: http://devphp.sourceforge.net/ [$0]
phped: http://www.nusphere.com/products/ [$300]
top php studio: http://www.top-systems.net/ [$30]
dzsoft php editor: http://www.dzsoft.com/dzphp.htm [$40]
komodo: http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/ [$30+]
phpcoder: http://www.phpide.com/go/programs/php_coder.htm [$0]
Davor's PHP Editor: http://www.pleskina.com/dphped/main.php [$0]
maguma studio/workbench: http://www.maguma.com/products/?article=Studio
{$40+]

XML
xopus: http://xopus.com/ [$850]
editml: http://www.editml.com/ [$90+]
xmlpro2: http://www.vervet.com/ [$0]
cooktop: http://www.xmlcooktop.com/ [$0]
xray: http://www.architag.com/xray/ [$0]
xmlwriter: http://www.xmlwriter.net/ [$100]
oxygen pro: http://www.oxygenxml.com/ [$100]
blueprint: http://www.xmlblueprint.com/ [$45]
xmlmind: http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/ [$0/$220]
peters xml eiditor: http://www.iol.ie/~pxe/ [$0]
xmlspy: http://www.xmlspy.com/products_ide.html [$400]
morphon: http://www.morphon.com/xmleditor/index.shtml [$0]
turboxml:
http://www.tibco.com/solutions/products/extensibility/turbo_xml.jsp
[$270]

X l e c t r i c

Thanks for the lists of editors and opinions on which to use.

I appreciate it, Art.