nsIServerSocket alternatives?

Alejandro Rivero

In firefox, an easy alternative for some applications of
nsIServerSocket is the URI "data:", if the only goal was to do
http://localhost/ connections (for instance, you have build an image
within javascript, or some other kind of binary data, and you want to
show it in an iframe).

Are there altertatives in explorer? Either for http://localhost/ and
for generic listening. I have even checked about using VBScript!

VK

In firefox, an easy alternative for some applications of
nsIServerSocket is the URI "data:",

An easy alternative? Only if you consider such. I don't, sorry.
if the only goal was to do http://localhost/connections
(for instance, you have build an image

You would have such alternative till about 2004, until the infamous
content spoofing in IE6 leaded to X Bitmap (XBM) scripting
discontinuation in IE6/7. As usual M$ had chosen to kill the thing
rather than to fix the thing but it goes out of the borders of the
discussion

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Alejandro said:
In firefox, an easy alternative for some applications of
nsIServerSocket is the URI "data:", if the only goal was to do
http://localhost/ connections (for instance, you have build an image
within javascript, or some other kind of binary data, and you want to
show it in an iframe).

http://localhost/ is an URI that, when applied and working, causes a HTTP
connection to be established. That has nothing to do with `data:' URIs,
which refer to volatile resources that are not available via HTTP.
Are there altertatives in explorer? Either for http://localhost/ and
for generic listening. I have even checked about using VBScript!

To the extent that Internet Explorer supports (2038 characters max.), you
can use the `javascript:' URI/pseudo-protocol scheme to generate arbitrary
data. This approach also works in other user agents, including Firefox.
For example, an example has been posted here that displays a volatile XBM
image generated with client-side J(ava)Script.

PointedEars