Numbers in ordered lists

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, May 5, 2004.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, May 5, 2004

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mitja Guest

    Um... but you already do. Or did you mean without the dots?

    There are ways to do it using CSS, but it's poorly supported, so if you
    insist on plain numbers, use manual numbering.

    Mitja

    Mitja, May 5, 2004

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    Use ordered list
    <ol>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    <li>
    </ol>

    Duende, May 6, 2004
  4. Yes, but I have already <ol>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    <li></li>
    </ol>

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 6, 2004
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    <ul><li><h2>Informazioni generali</h2></li>

    all I see is <ul>

    Try <ol type="1">

    Duende, May 6, 2004
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    That's deprecated, so watch the doctype. Besides, type="1" is default
    anyhow.

    This HTML

    <ol>
    </ol>

    will be rendered similar to this.

    1. blah blah blah.

    2. blah blah blah.

    blah blah blah.

    3. blah blah blah.

    Neal, May 6, 2004
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Neal scribbled in the mud:
    I knew that. That's why I didn't put it in the first time. :)

    Duende, May 6, 2004
  8. It seems to work now on the page
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione1.html.
    On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html , however
    the numeration should continue from the previous page and not beginning from
    1.
    I wonder how I could do that.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 6, 2004
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    Duende, May 7, 2004
  10. If I use <ol start="7"> IE shows the numbers I want but the page does not
    validate as HTML 4.01 strict.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 7, 2004
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Luigi Donatello Asero scribbled in the mud:
    So change your DOCTYPE
    Validates As HTML 4.01 Transitional (Tentatively Valid)!
    http://tinyurl.com/2xn9b

    Duende, May 7, 2004
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    Unfortuntely the CSS solution is not well supported. To do what you want
    in the manner you want, you need a transitional doctype.

    You could do the numbering manually instead. Won't be list markup, but you
    get the effect and it validates strict.

    Neal, May 7, 2004
  13. I think that numbering manually is the best solution.
    Now the page validates as HTML 4.01 strict. However the link to show that I
    validated the page does not work.
    I am wondering why.

    http://validator.w3.org/check? uri=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/mediazione2.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 7, 2004
  14. Perhaps more of a kludge is to have list markup, turn off the list
    styling and then use manual numbering.

    <ol>
    <li>1. Oreos</li>
    <li>2. Butter biscuits</li>
    <li>3. Rich tea fingers</li>
    <li>4. Milk chocolate digestives</li>
    </ol>

    ol {
    list-style: none;
    }

    I wasn't sure what JAWS would make of it, but provided the CSS is used
    it reads in IE as (half-second pauses on commas) "List of 4 items 1,
    Oreos 2, Butter biscuits 3, Rich tea fingers 4, Milk chocolate
    digestives list end". The non-list markup version reads *exactly* the
    same except the opening and closing list announcements are missing. So
    it would seem that in JAWS at least there is some use to the above
    method. Better would be if JAWS paused at the end of each list item or
    paused on a comma at the end of each one, but it didn't when tested with
    default reader settings.

    Andrew Urquhart, May 7, 2004