Numerical solver

Discussion in 'Python' started by Laszlo Zsolt Nagy, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I would like to use a numerical solver for a specific problem. My
    problem looks like this:

    1. I have numeric constants, named A,B,C etc.
    2. I have numeric variables, named x,y,z etc.
    3. I have functions, like f1(x), f2(x), f3(x,y), f4(y) etc.
    4. I have constraints like f1(x) < A f3(x,y) < B etc.

    Fortunately, all of the variables can be limited to a closed finite
    interval. (E.g. 0 <= x <= 100)
    There is a specific function, called P(x,y,z) that needs to be optimized
    (need to find its maximum/minimum).

    I'm looking for a native Python solution: I would like to define the
    functions and the constraints in Python.
    I have looked at the cheeseshop and found LogiLab's constraint:

    http://www.logilab.org/projects/constraint/documentation

    It is almost perfect for me, but it is working with finite sets.
    I'm not sure about SciPy or NumPy. Do you have an idea about what is the
    package I need?
    I'll gladly read any documentation or tutorial, just I do not know which
    one is the best to start with.

    Thanks,

    Laszlo

    Laszlo Zsolt Nagy, Feb 28, 2006