Odd behaviour

Helpful person

I am presently writing a web site and have a test page at www.snowfisher.com
The menus at the top generally work fine. However, for IE7 if I
inrease the size by cntrl + a couple of times, minimize the window and
then restore it the placement of the text on the menu bar gets messed
up. A screen refresh fixes it.

This isn't really a high priority (I can live with this) however, I am
curious. Anyone know why? If there's a quick fix I would also be
interested.

Thanks.

www.richardfisher.com

Helpful person

I am presently writing a web site and have a test page atwww.snowfisher.com
The menus at the top generally work fine.  However, for IE7 if I
inrease the size by cntrl + a couple of times, minimize the window and
then restore it the placement of the text on the menu bar gets messed
up.  A screen refresh fixes it.

This isn't really a high priority (I can live with this) however, I am
curious.  Anyone know why?  If there's a quick fix I would also be
interested.

Thanks.

www.richardfisher.com

I've since added

white-space : nowrap;

to prevent the menu from folding. This has made IE7 behaviour worse.
Any suggestions?

dorayme

I am presently writing a web site and have a test page at www.snowfisher.com
The menus at the top generally work fine. However, for IE7...

No need for this sort of thing:

p.MenuItems
{
display: inline;
color:

These are not paragraphs, they are menu items, a sort of list as a
whole. So probably best to use a UL and have the list items inline.

Helpful person

No need for this sort of thing:

 p.MenuItems
  {
    display: inline;
    color:

These are not paragraphs, they are menu items, a sort of list as a
whole. So probably best to use a UL and have the list items inline.

Thanks. What you say makes sense. I'll change it and then see if I
still have any problems.

Helpful person

No need for this sort of thing:

 p.MenuItems
  {
    display: inline;
    color:

These are not paragraphs, they are menu items, a sort of list as a
whole. So probably best to use a UL and have the list items inline.

I made your suggested changes, however the odd behaviour still exists.

Richard Fisher

rf

www.snowfisher.com The menus at the top generally work fine.
However, for IE7 if I
inrease the size by cntrl + a couple of times, minimize the window and
then restore it the placement of the text on the menu bar gets messed
up. A screen refresh fixes it.

Not here. It's broken all the time.
This isn't really a high priority (I can live with this) however, I am
curious. Anyone know why? If there's a quick fix I would also be
interested.

Thanks.

www.richardfisher.com

This page was produced using Frontpage, wasn't it :) All bets are off.
Frontpage does *not* produce proper web pages.

The lack of a doctype is putting the browsers, especially IE, into quirks
mode where it is carefully reproducing all the layout bugs back to version
5.5. Once again, all bets are off.

Other things to note:

You do not need any of that image swapping javascript. Such things are done
with CSS these days.

You should not be using pictures of text for your menu items. You should use
real text.

You should not allow Frontpage to misuse a humungous number of blockquote
elements to position stuff. You should be using CSS.

You don't need all that absolute positioning to place the "click" images
over the top of that stuff to the right. This is probably the cause of your
problem, coupled with quriks mode. Make the click image a background and let
the browser lay out the blocks. The browser has a far better idea than you
do where things will fit on the canvas. However with font-size: xx-small who
is going to read it anyway :)

That click stuff doesn't work with javascript disabled anyway.

You should be using h1 and h2 etc elements for those headings instead of
styled paragraphs.

You should not allow Frontpage to insert random font elements. Do it all
with CSS.

In general the code looks, well, last century, probably because of Frontpage
:)

dorayme

Helpful person said:
I made your suggested changes, however the odd behaviour still exists.

Not quite sure what you are seeing as weird, I am afraid. I did the font
change and browser resize refresh?

Another btw: no need to class the list items, simply

.. li {...}

Saves typing and bandwidth.

In fact, perhaps simpler is along lines of

body {margin: 0;}

ul {
color: #fff;
background: #000;
min-width: 30em;
}

li {
display: inline;
border: 0;
border-right-width: 2px;
border-style: solid;
border-color: #FFFF00;
padding-left: 2em;
padding-right: 2em;
}

a {
color: #fff;
text-decoration: none;
font-size: .85em;

and

<ul>
</ul>
<h1>Lans Basin Association</h1>

roughly...

rf

rf said:
Not here. It's broken all the time.

Snip comments about wrong site.

Sorry, I missed the URL of the new site.

You don't need to minimise. Just resize the browser window a bit.

Odd behaviour. Most certainly an IE bug.

Helpful person

Snip comments about wrong site.

Sorry, I missed the URL of the new site.

You don't need to minimise. Just resize the browser window a bit.

Odd behaviour. Most certainly an IE bug.

It seemed like a bug to me, but I'm too inexperienced to "cry bug".
What should I do to fix the page for IE7? Can someone please tell me
if it is the same in IE8?

Richard Fisher (no web stated this time. I am rewriting to get away
from Frontpage.)

Helpful person

[...]

It's cntr + not changing font size that causes the problem.

I did not define the CSS as you suggest as I believe that what you
wrote will change all occurrences in the web site, not just the menu
bar. Using a class is supposed to effect only the menu.

Helpful person

Snip comments about wrong site.

Sorry, I missed the URL of the new site.

You don't need to minimise. Just resize the browser window a bit.

Odd behaviour. Most certainly an IE bug.

Thanks. What do I need to do to fix the site for IE7?

dorayme

Helpful person said:
It's cntr + not changing font size that causes the problem.

I did not define the CSS as you suggest as I believe that what you
wrote will change all occurrences in the web site, not just the menu
bar. Using a class is supposed to effect only the menu.

Yes, as rf said about zoom...

Your keyboard command does not do anything on my set up and I have
looked into options and see nothing, but I am very rare user of XP and
Windows and IE. But I would like to sort this one?

Bootnic is the Windows zoom expert... He has said about adding 'zoom: 1'
to things to fix various problems like this... but don't quote me.

About the markup though, the above was just a rough guide to simpler.
What you would do in fact is *class* the UL (or a menu div wrapper if
you must) and then it's .menu li {...} and no need to class the <li>s

Helpful person

Your keyboard command does not do anything on my set up and I have
looked into options and see nothing, but I am very rare user of XP and
Windows and IE. But I would like to sort this one?
In IE7 do you not have the zoom drop down box at the bottom right
corner of the window? If the status bar (on the view menu) is visible
it should show up.

rf

dorayme said:
At the top right are the three usual things, a box to minimise the
window (an idea, btw, that Macs pinched from MS for their idea of the
Dock!), there is a fullscreen or 'go back to the last size you had
when you last manually sized the window' box and there is the box
with the big X to quit the app (not the window! MS do things so
brutally. You have a baby with a bath in it have you? Right, here is
a button to throw the whole lot out!)

There is an a XPish flag on a white background just under these three
usual boxes. I notice right click lets me customise tool bar and can
add text zoom. 'blow up zoom' is either not available or is very shy
or scared of me somewhere, perhaps it knows I am not likely to
exactly love it!

http://barefile.com.au/test/zoom.png

Alternatively, Ctrl-Mousewheel.

dorayme

Yes, but that only controls text size enlargement. Five little cogs you
can fee in the wheel gets the five font-sizes that MS have provided
under the 'Largest to Smallest' menu. But no picture zoom. Where you
have magnifying lens and 100%, I have pic of computer and My Computer
(it is offline mostly)

(thanks for this tip, btw, did not know that one)

Looks like I have not got real zooming? I will look into upgrading IE or
something. I have an IE7 that allows me to also simulate 6 and down (not
that I look at below 6)

JohnW-Mpls

I am presently writing a web site and have a test page at www.snowfisher.com
The menus at the top generally work fine. However, for IE7 if I
inrease the size by cntrl + a couple of times, minimize the window and
then restore it the placement of the text on the menu bar gets messed
up. A screen refresh fixes it.

This isn't really a high priority (I can live with this) however, I am
curious. Anyone know why? If there's a quick fix I would also be
interested.

Thanks.

www.richardfisher.com

OopS!

Helpful person

This isn't really a high priority (I can live with this) however, I am
curious.  Anyone know why?  If there's a quick fix I would also be
interested.

Thanks.

www.richardfisher.com

I've decided that this really is a high priority for me as anyone
zooming with IE7 will have problems navigating. I suspect that a work
arround for IE7 is my best solution. Any suggestions?