Official newsgroups

Roedy Green

I noticed all kinds of comp.lang.java.* newsgroups many of which I am
sure are obsolete or mistakes. What is the official set?

Chris Smith

Roedy said:
I noticed all kinds of comp.lang.java.* newsgroups many of which I am
sure are obsolete or mistakes. What is the official set?

The full list of groups in the Big 8 hierarchies (which includes comp.*)
is posted occasionally to news.announce.newgroups. The list should be
available from Google if your server has particularly poor retention.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Ramon F Herrera

Roedy Green said:
I noticed all kinds of comp.lang.java.* newsgroups many of which I am
sure are obsolete or mistakes. What is the official set?

You must be reading the Usenet through your own (or you ISP's)
news server. There are all kind of bogus newsgroups.

For an "official" (if there is such a thing) list just go to:

http://groups.google.com

-Ramon

Andrew Thompson

You must be reading the Usenet through your own (or you ISP's)
news server. There are all kind of bogus newsgroups.

Yes there are..
For an "official" (if there is such a thing) list

Yes there is..

And that is certainly not it. It carries such
groups as..
comp.lang.java.misc
comp.lang.java.javascript
comp.lang.java.developer

Note the last two show quite high activity,
but none of them are valid groups.

Google is not the final arbiter of what
the valid groups are.

Check the thread I pointed to, there
are some suggestions there from folks that
have participated in the establishment
of (official) groups.

Roedy Green

You must be reading the Usenet through your own (or you ISP's)
news server. There are all kind of bogus newsgroups.

For an "official" (if there is such a thing) list just go to:

http://groups.google.com
I have updated my list at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html

The only one I don't understand is comp.lang.java.developer. It seems
to have the same function and comp.lang.java.programmer. How are they
supposed to differ?

It strike me as masochistic that newsgroups don't have a home page
that has links to faqs, purpose etc. and a one line official
discription of what they are for in a computer-extractable format. It
would save so much misposting. I suppose the anarchistic spirit is too
strong.

You should be able to get this information with a click of a button.

Andrew Thompson

The only one I don't understand is comp.lang.java.developer. It seems
to have the same function and comp.lang.java.programmer. How are they
supposed to differ?

One is valid, one is not..
See my last post..

I strongly recommend you have a look over
the thread I pointed you to..
<http://google.com/groups?th=899478679ae385bf>

Ignore many of the posts and look for the
ones from Jon and Chris.

Sudsy

Roedy Green wrote:
The only one I don't understand is comp.lang.java.developer. It seems
to have the same function and comp.lang.java.programmer. How are they
supposed to differ?

It strike me as masochistic that newsgroups don't have a home page
that has links to faqs, purpose etc. and a one line official
discription of what they are for in a computer-extractable format. It
would save so much misposting. I suppose the anarchistic spirit is too
strong.

Wrong answer. Many of these newsgroups were established well before
the WWW existed. Should each ng purchase an org or news domain?
Who's going to pay for it?
You should be able to get this information with a click of a button.

If you're willing to pay for the domain registration for every one
of the "big 8" newsgroups domains then you're surely independently
wealthy.
I have enough trouble paying the annual fees for the half-dozen domains
I run, especially when few registrars accept anything other than credit
cards. I prefer PayPal but precious few registrars have enabled that
option.
Note that the biggest offender is the one which should be striving to
retain their customer base, namely NetSol. Why they don't make it
available and so slough-off potential customers is "completely beyond
my understanding..."

Cheers!

ps. Go Leafs Go!

Gordon Beaton

It strike me as masochistic that newsgroups don't have a home page
that has links to faqs, purpose etc. and a one line official
discription of what they are for in a computer-extractable format.
[...]

You should be able to get this information with a click of a button.

Concepts like "click" and "button" are foreign to many newsreaders,
including many modern ones.

Also, usenet predates WWW by approximately 14 years.

There is however an NNTP extension that lets you retrieve a one line
description of any newsgroup (if the server supports the extension).
See rfc2980 for a description of the "LIST NEWSGROUPS" request.

http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc2980

It would save so much misposting.

*Extremly* doubtful. Most of the missposting comes from people who
apparently can't read, or simply don't care.

/gordon

Joona I Palaste

Gordon Beaton said:
It strike me as masochistic that newsgroups don't have a home page
that has links to faqs, purpose etc. and a one line official
discription of what they are for in a computer-extractable format.

[...]
It would save so much misposting.
*Extremly* doubtful. Most of the missposting comes from people who
apparently can't read, or simply don't care.

Or who are intentionally *trying* to mispost.