OFFTOPIC: How to pronounce Ruby?

Arie Kusuma Atmaja

+
I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh

It's pronounced roo-bee (so, like dubious).

-Stephen

--
Arie Kusuma Atmaja A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren | YM! = riyari3
http://ariekusumaatmaja.wordpress.com

dblack

Hi --

+
I wonder why Matz didn't give Ruby name with Kanji letters.... and
I've no clue if my friends asked me why Ruby Programmers call
themselves Rubyist or Rubycian.... sigh

Matz has said that a Ruby practitioner is a Rubyist.

David
--
Arie Kusuma Atmaja A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren | YM! = riyari3
http://ariekusumaatmaja.wordpress.com

Florian Frank

Matz has said that a Ruby practitioner is a Rubyist.

I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.

Arie Kusuma Atmaja

Thanks David.
I am still waiting for Matz to record this "I am Yukihiro Matsumoto and
I pronounce Ruby as Luby" sentence and put it up somewhere on the internets.

According to http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby
Ruby was written in Romaji then Katakana, it's being read: rubii
or perhaps (sorry i'm not an english native speaker) in English
pronounciation might be: roo bee
AFAIK Japanese is so proud of Japan, that's why I wonder why Matz
didn't name Ruby in Kanji Letters first, and then provided its
translation in Katakana ($B%k%S!<(B) and Romaji (Ruby)

--
Arie Kusuma Atmaja A.K.A Arie A.K.A ariekeren | YM! = riyari3
http://ariekusumaatmaja.wordpress.com

Peter Szinek

Pete said:
Dubious is only pronounced doobious if you're American. :)

Well, I am Hungarian :) (btw in Hungarian, Ruby is pronounced as in
Japanese). I guess I am mostly speaking American English, but I don't
think so this is the main cause 'dubious' came to my mind when looking
for a suitable example - the reason was that I never heard it pronounced
differently... (I met only a few native British English speakers, though)

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com