OLEDB database connection from ASP.NET

Louise Hadley

I can connect to a Sybase database from a WindowsApp project without
any problems, but when I use the same code to connect from an aspx.vb
file I get an OLEDB exception "Database server not found".

Code is:

Imports System.Data.OleDb

Public Class WebForm1
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim strConn As String
Dim objDBConn As OleDbConnection
Dim objCommand As OleDbCommand

strConn = "provider=ASAProv;data source=systemsupport"

objDBConn = New OleDbConnection(strConn)
objCommand = New OleDbCommand("spEventLog_Add_2",
objDBConn)
objCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

objDBConn.Open()

If I paste this code into WindowsApp form it runs fine!

Is there something inherently different in the way I should connect to
the database in ASP.

I have the same problem when I call method functions in components
from the ASP that simply return arraylists - they work fine when
called from Windows apps but not when called from the ASP.

Tx,
Louise

Louise Hadley

Thanks very much Steve, I set up a user ASPNET in my database, and the
connection string "provider=ASAProv;data
source=systemsupport;uid=ASPNET" works!

Phew, now I can relax a bit over the weekend - was starting to pull my
hair out!

Louise